single bulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
it was my intention to wait until i had the bux saved up to go all out on planting my 55. hah.
i currently have a single flourescent bulb 48" strip. i want to plant clover. is there a bulb i can put in to provide enough light to do this? and will it work with my sand substrate?

This is something I think you are simply going to have to try. First get a T8 bulb as they are generally brighter than T12s. You might also want to try a plant and aquarium bulb. IME, they give out slightly more, but not a real significant amount, plant usable light. This is still effectively under 1 WPG though so if you have a good reflector that should help. Adding CO2 will also help.

I don't have experience with clover, but most references site them as low - med light plants. Anything under 1 WPG is very low light and your lighting may not be sufficient. You might have better luck with java moss. I've grown that in about 0.55 WPG.

FWIW, I am growing aquatic clover in full shade in my main tank. As Tong mentioned, If you can get the plant easily, try it and see if it works.

Aquatic clover (Marsilea spp.) grows quite well in the shade as Zezmo says. I've seen the dang stuff grow in almost complete shade :) Although I would still recommend having close to one watt per gallon of light for any plants.

Back
Top Bottom