Small planted tank beginner question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have decided to start a small planted tank. I took and old one gallon and put in substrate and some amazon swords and grass(I can't remembered what it was called). So far it looks great! Anything special a planted tank needs? I have a little $0.15 fish I think it's a rosy something or other. Also just put in 5 cherry shrimp and one died. The tank looks healthy and critters seem happy! Just want to know if I need to do anything special for a planted tank. ??

If you want the shrimp to thrive its good to have a spundg filter in there but not required if you have shrimp food

And you may just want some frets as long as you have just have good lighting

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok I have a filter that came with it and I out in a fluval sponge thingy to keep the shrimp out of the filter. What are frets?

Fertilizers unless you did dirt

Yea that's fine you don't need it it just helps a lot

I don't need the subtrate it helps a lot? Or are you talking about something else?

The dirt lol and the frets
But liquid co2 will really help a lot

Good light: 2+ watts per gallon fluorescent lighting rule of thumb, I'd guess around 100 lumens per gallon somewhere about. Deeper tanks need more.

Aquarium fertilizers-AVOID SOME HARDWARE STORE TYPES! Ammonium Nitrate is kryptonite. Potassium and micronutrients will be all you need to start with. The fish supplies the rest. DO NOT USE TOO MUCH! I learned this the hard way in a Black Beard Algae attack.

Root fertilizers are preferrable to some plants, and are often safer when used right. Again, heavy on potassium and micronutes.

Carbon booster (glut)

Don't forget fresh water!

I'm switching tanks in about two weeks and am getting a fluval spec 5 gallon. Will that light work? I got my subtrate at petsmart because the fish store is too expensive. I maybe used 3 inches because the plants didn't stay down with 2 inches. I have shrimp in there cleaning it up. And can you dumb down the last part of your comment? ;)

Which part, about the fresh water? :) Some say plants reduce the need for water changes. Don't believe them until you test for yourself.

I just put plants in because they are pretty and it will give my fish somewhere to hide�� and dumb down the big words ��

Have you tried Google?

Ammonium Nitrate: a fertilizer. VERY poisonous to fish.

Kryptonite: a mineral. Poisonous to Superman.

What did I miss? :D

Rosy red minnow, if that is the 15 cent fish you're talking about is definitely not meant to be in a planted shrimp tank.... I would throw in a root tab near the roots of your... Wait, you're growing Amazon swords in a 1g?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why shouldn't the minnow be in there? It seems like it's good in there.. Him and the shrimp get along pretty well they always share the algea tablets and never have done anything aggressive.. I will put roots tabs in when I move my plants when I get the 5 gallon. Yeah I have the Amazon swords in the one gallon.. They are really small I got them at petsmart a few days ago and knew that I would be moving them to a 5 gallon tank in 2 weeks

Keeping at minow in that small of a cage will eventually make it restless. I noticed a big differece when I moved my neons from a 1g to a 29g last winter.

I have also found that sword will soon fill that 1g. Each sword in my 29g is as tall and wider than my 1g tanks.

The minnow is TINY It's less than 1/2 an inch. It seems hoppy in there. Just swims around and hangs withy he shrimp. And I know that they will get big they are just staying in there for two weeks like I said ;)

Back
Top Bottom