Soil releasing bubbles...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoeplein

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've had my tank setup for about six or so weeks, and I have 20 lbs of potting mix under black tahitian sand. It has been releasing one or two bubbles at a time, from about five or six spots, a different spot every minute or so. Today isn't the first day it has released bubbles, but is the only day to have had released so consistently. There's no smell. Is this normal? I'm guessing the soil is settling and/or the plants are finally embedding their roots...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you poke around with a big grilling fork or something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

65g. 36"x18" floor. It was enough for a little over two inches. 40 lb of sand gave me a little over an inch on top. I wanted a pretty deep bed, since the tank is so tall.

A grilling fork isn't a bad idea. I should probably sterilize it first...

Mineralize?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As long as it doesn't smell really bad (ie rotten eggs), you should be fine. As mentioned, it's just decomposition.

Rotten eggs is also normal.. That is the decomposition.. After you poke around in there and you get the rotten eggs smell, do a water change to get that gas out of your water

Back
Top Bottom