Staghorn algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmrwiggly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted my algae problem before and was advised to spot treat with hydrogen peroxide. I ended up being stupid and spot treated too much and killed 12 fish. The algae turned red and I was able to get some of it off. Now it's back again. I don't want to tear down my tank and start from scratch. I keep reading about getting SAE. I believe I had one couple yrs ago and it was really aggressive. I don't want another fish that's going to stress out the other fish.

I posted my algae problem before and was advised to spot treat with hydrogen peroxide. I ended up being stupid and spot treated too much and killed 12 fish. The algae turned red and I was able to get some of it off. Now it's back again. I don't want to tear down my tank and start from scratch. I keep reading about getting SAE. I believe I had one couple yrs ago and it was really aggressive. I don't want another fish that's going to stress out the other fish.

You need to find the cause of the algae which means we need to know everything about your tank. If you have already been through this on your other thread then post there instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Questions:
1. Do you infuse CO2?
2. What type of lighting? Photoperiod length?
3. How is your water circulation?
4. How much do you feed?
5. Do you clean your substrate? Is there "mulm" about the bottom?
6. Is your filter clean?

I don't use co2
My light is a current USA satellite freshwater LED + 6500K full spectrum. Photoperiod is 7-8 hrs.
Circulation isn't bad. I'm using a fluval 406 with the flow rate valve fully open. Exit tube is in the middle of tank facing toward the front of tank. I had it facing to the end of the tank until the it slap one of my gouramis agains the tank.
I feed flake twice a day 12hrs apart. The fish act like a school of piranhas at feeding time.
Vacuum the substrate and water change at the same time. I try to do every wk but no longer than 2 wks. Mulm what's that?
Cleaning the filter will be done this weekend. I need to add nitazorb media. I'm having a hard time keeping the nitate level down. I tested my water and found that there is 40 ppm in my water.

Hi there. Sorry about your luck.

I just started my aquarium a month ago and started to have nitrite level spikes (thought to be due to over feeding). I started to do 33% water changes twice a day until the levels went down to 0 (nitrites were at 2 ppm took 5 days to go down). From what I understand water changes are the only thing you can do to get the nitrites to 0. Adding extra Prime will just stabilize your levels.

http://www.tetra-fish.com/aquarium-...um-temperature-water-quality-maintenance.aspx

I haven't had any algae issues but I would recommend decreasing your lighting times or trying to break it up into two session of 4 hours. I have read that some people take out all their ornaments and give them a good scrub or bleaching.

From what I have read you should only vacuum 1/3 of your substrate once a month so you don't get rid of all the good bacteria that live there and same with water changes.

http://www.tetra-fish.com/aquarium-information/aquarium-basics.aspx

Fish acting like piranhas. LOL. My Glofishes and Flying Fox act the same way. Its like they have never eaten before.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I meant that my supply water is 40 ppm. I could handle it if it was around 10 ppm. Adding water with that much nitrate isn't helping to lower it in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom