TheresaM's Project Tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following along! Looks really good :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Photo from this past weekend:

img_3190912_0_c1642cefdcda7538eeabd9ec4c9a0d7c.jpg

Current rooted plants are java fern, moneywort, dwarf sag, Amazon sword, ludwigia, jungle val, hygro. Floating I have dwarf baby tears, dwarf water lettuce, and some pygmy chain sword.

I ordered a few more dwarf amber barbs that should be here tomorrow so I want to do some cleaning in the tank tonight. I'm also going to remove any shrimp other than red cherries with the hopes of getting some breeding from them. The ludwigia and moneywort have really taken off. I don't want to trim yet so I think I'll remove some of the floating plants instead. There are some melty bits and leaf litter I want to get rid of as well.

It's definitely been an enjoyable project so far. I like seeing the tank in the morning sunshine while I catch up on email and such.

What size is that tank and where can I get one? It looks like it would be a perfect photo tank for small fish.

I am very interested in how the tank evolves, it looks like a cool project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Discoveries I made while cleaning up the tank tonight:

-Only RCS, thought I had put in some other shrimp but who knows

-I was wrong about the moneywort but the ludwigia really, really surprised me. These were little 2-4" bits that I had saved in a bowl, this is what I pulled out:

img_3191018_0_716a92f35f7eca2ab0a577d8d5794b89.jpg

-A lone dwarf amber barb can be a colorful, active, feisty little fish

-Lots of leaf litter and melt which I removed...Diana Walstad probably wouldn't approve but I couldn't live with that

-Areas of exposed dirt, maybe from me messing around in the tank or not a thick enough layer to begin with? Topped off a few areas pretty easily with a teaspoon

-More algae growth than I expected, poor little bumblebee nerite can't keep up. I'll probably add another but also reconsider a location in the house for the tank

-A bit of darker algae growth on the floaters so I removed a bunch and we'll see how that affects the rooted plants

Last edited:
What size is that tank and where can I get one? It looks like it would be a perfect photo tank for small fish.

I am very interested in how the tank evolves, it looks like a cool project.
This is a 1g that I found on Amazon: Amazon.com : Deep Blue Professional ADB11002 Glass Standard 2-Way Tall Betta Aquarium Tank Kit, 1-Gallon : Aquarium Starter Kits : Pet Supplies. They also have a longer, lower 1.5g which makes a nice small shrimp setup. Depending on available space though it almost makes sense to get an AGA 2.5g Amazon.com : All Glass Aquarium AAG10002 Tank, 2.5-Gallon : Pet Supplies

And yes, I have all of these tanks :whistle:

I'll definitely be ordering the 1g, it's just the right dimensions for photographing apistos

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll definitely be ordering the 1g, it's just the right dimensions for photographing apistos

Wow, that's a great idea! I have some Endlers coming today from Adrian/Swamp River Aquatics, wish I had one empty to do pics.

That hygro is going to grow crazy.... My tank is 2' in height and it grows from bottom to top in just over a month....

That hygro is going to grow crazy.... My tank is 2' in height and it grows from bottom to top in just over a month....

Not in this tank unfortunately. Maybe the bits I used weren't overly healthy but I ended up taking them out last night.

Overcast all day here so I'm using a desk lamp on the tank this evening. Planted it's now jungle val, swarf sag, and a small bit of moneywort. An order of RCS arrived today so I added a few of them and they're already coloring up nicely; the dwarf amber barbs should be here tomorrow.

img_3191479_0_b1de34f932a4fa8a80c02a689f5d1154.jpg

Not in this tank unfortunately. Maybe the bits I used weren't overly healthy but I ended up taking them out last night.

Just give them time. Once they're rooted they'll send out a new set of shoots and then after a while you can use that and pull out the old. It's what I do. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427319408.735785.jpg top left stem of hygro, was growing on an old ratty stem with a few leaves.

Your tank is looking good too. Once everything gets a hold it'll be an overgrown forest. Woooo

Just give them time. Once they're rooted they'll send out a new set of shoots and then after a while you can use that and pull out the old. It's what I do. View attachment 268385 top left stem of hygro, was growing on an old ratty stem with a few leaves.

Your tank is looking good too. Once everything gets a hold it'll be an overgrown forest. Woooo

I saved some bits like that in other tanks but this was literally brown mush...

The dwarf amber barbs arrived today. Photos can be deceiving, these are very, very tiny fish:

img_3192079_0_2edd48a6fcc3149f8d671ad4dd76b5bd.jpg

They seem quite happy in the tank, already showing nice color :)

img_3192079_1_7c89c7497a5473f71dacd630ce32607f.jpg

Really enjoying this project tank a lot. I still have to decide on either a new location for the tank or learn to live with the algae on the glass, it's something I'm not used to I guess. The two bumblebee nerites are quite happy with it though!

The RCS have nice color and I already saw a few fry! No idea what was happening here since they hadn't been fed since yesterday:

img_3192744_0_a2a028340bd8920c6e21d2b611869517.jpg

What a nice and portable project! Fish and inverts look good in there. Take that, technology!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What a nice and portable project! Fish and inverts look good in there. Take that, technology!

Right? It's been running for a while but I still wake up wondering if the whole project crashed :hide:

The dwarf amber barbs arrived today. Photos can be deceiving, these are very, very tiny fish:

img_3192971_0_2edd48a6fcc3149f8d671ad4dd76b5bd.jpg

They seem quite happy in the tank, already showing nice color :)

img_3192971_1_7c89c7497a5473f71dacd630ce32607f.jpg

Looking really good! Love the barbs ;)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Back
Top Bottom