Tracie's 12gal rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They'll melt a bit after all the travel but they should come back!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Brookster. I figured that is part of it. ;)

I've got the ferts.
I'm about to mix and wondered if it's fine to mix as directed on the bottles ?
I forgot to order extra bottles and I know people have other ways to mix them but that requires more than the 2 bottles.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also it says to boil the bottles. Really? They won't melt?!

I don't recall seeing anything about boiling.
You could use an empty bottle that previously had aquarium conditioner, fertilizer, or other solution (Excel, etc) as the third bottle. Add the KNO3 to the third bottle to keep the nitrates separate. Mix the other two bottles as directed (minus the KNO3).

Don't you find that odd?!?
Boil a plastic bottle?!?

Do I mix it and dose it at same measurements?

Also one of the mixes I have some (can't remember who) made these labels and it says to prevent mold add the excel. Anyone else do that?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406252541.556787.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Don't you find that odd?!?
Boil a plastic bottle?!?

Do I mix it and dose it at same measurements?

Also one of the mixes I have some (can't remember who) made these labels and it says to prevent mold add the excel. Anyone else do that?

View attachment 244352

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I suppose one could boil plastic baby bottles with no issues.
Mix it, let sit over night, give it a firm shake and dose 1 mL/10 gallons. That applies to the bottle with KNO3. I shake the bottles each time before dosing.
Yes, I add glut/excel to the Micros bottle.

Yep, I added excel to mine too:) my PPS pro kit just came in the mail 2 days ago. I didn't boil my bottles just because it seemed unnecessary (although I'm sure the plastic is durable enough) and so far so good! One thing that I had to do differently was add some extra phosphate. The instructions said 3g, but that only got me to .5 ppm, and I've been told you want it around 3-5ppm for red plants. I used an old 500ml bottle of Prime for my nitrates which works great http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...8-359E-4D32-87F1-7226A52CED4F_zpsre2v1x6a.jpg
I'm still learning as I go but that's my experience so far :)

I suppose one could boil plastic baby bottles with no issues.
Mix it, let sit over night, give it a firm shake and dose 1 mL/10 gallons. That applies to the bottle with KNO3. I shake the bottles each time before dosing.
Yes, I add glut/excel to the Micros bottle.

Haha. You're prolly right about the baby bottles.

Ahh. Anyways.

I didn't wait over night to dose, I didn't see your post.
Always a good shake and I'll add the excel to it when I get home. Thanks for that! ;)
I'm excited to see the difference it makes. ;)

Where do folks get good driftwood/hardscape wood?

Check out manzanita.com

Thanks Fresh!

The plants are all starting to look much better. Can't wait to see after a week of ferts!

I have these plants I got at the lfs in the beginning that are getting these weird roots from the stems?
What do I do with these?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406332532.224886.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406332546.389711.jpg

Yep, I added excel to mine too:) my PPS pro kit just came in the mail 2 days ago. I didn't boil my bottles just because it seemed unnecessary (although I'm sure the plastic is durable enough) and so far so good! One thing that I had to do differently was add some extra phosphate. The instructions said 3g, but that only got me to .5 ppm, and I've been told you want it around 3-5ppm for red plants. I used an old 500ml bottle of Prime for my nitrates which works great http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...8-359E-4D32-87F1-7226A52CED4F_zpsre2v1x6a.jpg
I'm still learning as I go but that's my experience so far :)

I missed your post yesterday somehow. Thanks for your input!
Did to add the excel to the nitrate solution also?

I need to get a phosphate test.

My ph is testing at 0. How do I get that up?

I need to get a phosphate test.

My ph is testing at 0. How do I get that up?

Surely your ph is not 0;) what are you testing with? Are you using ro/distilled water?

API
Yes, I am using ro/di
Ph and high range ph both come up 0 every single time. Bad tests?

Are you remineralizing your water?

The API kit does not have a 0 color reading on the card. The lowest it goes is 6 on regular and 7.6 on high range. So it's showing 6 when you test for regular pH and 7.6 when you test the high range pH?
If your pH is in fact 6, that would make sense. Perhaps you need to remineralize more like brookster said, RO water does not have any minerals to buffer pH so it can drop to dangerous levels and have extreme swings if not buffered with something added. Also what substrate are you using? Not sure if you mentioned it farther back and I missed it.

Back
Top Bottom