Tracie's 12gal rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you. You're right the water is just much lighter than the smallest reading so I was incorrectly calling it 0

I'll read up on the mineralizing. Do most people just go with tap and use something to dechlorinate? I thought using the ro/di was a good thing but maybe not as great as I thought.

Thanks !

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes most people just use tap with dechlorinator unless trying to breed very sensitive and expensive species like some shrimp which require specific TDS and a low pH. Or if their tap has very high nitrates or other undesirables, people will sometimes mix their tap with RO.
There is a product called Equilibrium made by seachem that I hear about people using a lot to remineralize but I've never personally used it. If your tap water is ok, it might just be easier to gradually switch over to just using it with dechlorinator :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes most people just use tap with dechlorinator unless trying to breed very sensitive and expensive species like some shrimp which require specific TDS and a low pH. Or if their tap has very high nitrates or other undesirables, people will sometimes mix their tap with RO.
There is a product called Equilibrium made by seachem that I hear about people using a lot to remineralize but I've never personally used it. If your tap water is ok, it might just be easier to gradually switch over to just using it with dechlorinator :)

Thank you so much. Very helpful!

I also missed an earlier q. I used Flourite for my soil. ;)

Thank you so much. Very helpful!

I also missed an earlier q. I used Flourite for my soil. ;)

Ok, at first I thought your substrate resembled ADA aquasoil, in which case could have been a contribution to your low pH.
I love the 12g long, it's such a unique tank:) could you post a FTS?

Oopsiee, check out seachem equilibrium, like Khuligirl said your water is basically water with no means of buffering ph, enter co2 and it could be a recipe for disaster..may explain the odd fish behavior??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Fresh!

The plants are all starting to look much better. Can't wait to see after a week of ferts!

I have these plants I got at the lfs in the beginning that are getting these weird roots from the stems?
What do I do with these?

View attachment 244420
View attachment 244422

These are called adventitious roots. I believe they are common in stem plants normally found in areas that are subject to flooding. It gives stem plants a head start when trimming and replanting. I do wonder if they are more prone to develop if enough nutrients are not coming through the primary roots. You can trim them if you find them unsightly.

Oopsiee, check out seachem equilibrium, like Khuligirl said your water is basically water with no means of buffering ph, enter co2 and it could be a recipe for disaster..may explain the odd fish behavior??

I think you're exactly right ;/. My ph is the problem. Not the dw.
That's my task today. Get my ph up.
Thanks y'all!

These are called adventitious roots. I believe they are common in stem plants normally found in areas that are subject to flooding. It gives stem plants a head start when trimming and replanting. I do wonder if they are more prone to develop if enough nutrients are not coming through the primary roots. You can trim them if you find them unsightly.

Thanks Fresh! I'm going to do some trimming and see what happens. Lol.

Ok, at first I thought your substrate resembled ADA aquasoil, in which case could have been a contribution to your low pH.
I love the 12g long, it's such a unique tank:) could you post a FTS?

Thank you sweetie.
I'll post a few shots tonight.
Gonna do some trimming and get this dw boiled and anchored in too. ;)

Ok. So I tested my tap water and I am going to use tap to get my ph up.
Would I just do a series of small water changes or can I do as much as a single 50% ?
Thx

Lots of people cut the ro with tap, seems like a good solution in your case..you'll want to figure out the right mix to achieve desired ph. The key will be slowly swinging the ph so a few smaller wc's spread out over 2 days would probably be best! Also.. your/staur repens look awesome!

Ok. So I tested my tap water and I am going to use tap to get my ph up.
Would I just do a series of small water changes or can I do as much as a single 50% ?
Thx

My tap ph is 7.8. Nitrate and nitrite are 0.

Lots of people cut the ro with tap, seems like a good solution in your case..you'll want to figure out the right mix to achieve desired ph. The key will be slowly swinging the ph so a few smaller wc's spread out over 2 days would probably be best! Also.. your/staur repens look awesome!

Thanks!

Don't they?!? Everything is really starting to perk up! I'll get some good update shots posted tonight ;).

So. Best option for anchoring my dw?
Someone mentioned slate. Other options?
Where might I find slate?

Thanks!

So. Best option for anchoring my dw?
Someone mentioned slate. Other options?
Where might I find slate?

Thanks!

You can find slate at a garden store, plant nursery, or possibly a hardware store with an outside garden section. It only needs to be big enough to weigh down the DW. Using a mason bit, a hole can be drilled into it. A stainless steel screw can be driven through the slate and into the DW. The slate can be buried in the substrate if necessary. I did this with some manzanita because I wanted the branches propped up at a certain angle.

Tracie im a bit late but I have a rodi unit to provide ro water for my tank. I use 3 parts ro water to 1 part tap. The tap water provides essential minerals to plants and fish

Tracie im a bit late but I have a rodi unit to provide ro water for my tank. I use 3 parts ro water to 1 part tap. The tap water provides essential minerals to plants and fish

You're not late! Perfect timing.
Do you add anything like dechlorinator to it?

I didn't get to work on my tank yesterday so no update pics yet. I'll be able to today.

Back
Top Bottom