What do I need for high/mid light in a nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I was thinking about one of these but have no idea how bright they are?
Amazon.com : Fluval Nano Aqua Life and Plant Performance LED Lamp : Aquarium Lights : Pet Supplies

I know a lot of people love finnex so would this work?Finnex Planted+ Cliplight LED - Lighting - Products

I know the full 16" version would be brighter but I have a Bella Palm growing out of the tank so I need it a ways above the tank.

I'm currently using my end stand lamp lol, a 60w bulb's gotta be highlight doesn't it? lol

I've also thought about using 2 of these http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-P...TF8&qid=1424512024&sr=1-1&keywords=fluval+13w but then no moon light.

Anyone?

Would the Coralife mini work? but only 9w x 2? I think 2 of the fluval lights would be just as good but no moonlight.

A. How big is your tank ? Gallons ? Height ?

B. Throwing a bunch of light on your tank will just grow algae unless you're also balancing fertilizers and carbon.

C. What plants are you going to try to grow in this Tank ?
If you're going for easy stuff, then you can stick with lower lighting. Lower lighting does not mean it's not bright, it just means there's less PAR.

This is a lowlight tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424809894.192164.jpg

Whatever light you get, you should have it on a timer, so you do not forget and leave the light on. My tanks are lit 6 to 8 hours a day to prevent algae. I also add fertilizers and a carbon source. Plus I do weekly water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's basically a 10g, 12" deep, I have CO2, flourish, trace elements, potassium and Fluval stratum substrate.

Right now I have a Bella Palm, Dwarf cardinal plant and dwarf baby tears, also planning on a pogostemon erectus. I wish there was a place that would telly ou where plants were native to without wikipediaing everyone lol.

I'm going to have 6 ghost shrimp and some Scarlet Jem Badis, whats a good amount of them to keep?

It's basically a 10g, 12" deep, I have CO2, flourish, trace elements, potassium and Fluval stratum substrate.

Right now I have a Bella Palm, Dwarf cardinal plant and dwarf baby tears, also planning on a pogostemon erectus. I wish there was a place that would telly ou where plants were native to without wikipediaing everyone lol.

I'm going to have 6 ghost shrimp and some Scarlet Jem Badis, whats a good amount of them to keep?

Scarlet Badis are territorial. In a heavily planted you might manage 3. Females are hard to find in my area.
I've only attempted 2 SBs at the most in my tanks.

I would recommend Cherry Shrimp instead of Ghosts as RCSwill breed and some of the baby shrimp will be food for the SBs

SBs are not easy. Make sure they are eating.

Scarlet Badis are territorial. In a heavily planted you might manage 3. Females are hard to find in my area.
I've only attempted 2 SBs at the most in my tanks.

I would recommend Cherry Shrimp instead of Ghosts as RCSwill breed and some of the baby shrimp will be food for the SBs

SBs are not easy. Make sure they are eating.

They will be the only fish in the tank so they should get food.

So I've narrowed it down to either putting a fluorescent or LED bulb in my desk lamp, 2 of these http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Power-Compact-Lamp/dp/B004QSV8XK
2 of these if I can get them for under $70 http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Nano-Aqua-Plant-Performance/dp/B00BNRZB0S/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2
Or 2 of these Amazon.com: EHEIM Power LED Full Spectrum Kit: Pet Supplies

The Ecoxotic panorama is to big, as for the E series they make a 12" fixture but that would have to sit on the tank and anything larger jumps to a 18-24".

Well I got a ton of plants, 4 scarlet baddis and 3 cherry shrimp (all they had), the smallest of which immediately got sucked halfway into the filter intake :eek:. Hes like a little rambunctious child swimming and flouting around the tank, not just crawling around like all my other shrimp.

The baddis are getting along nicely, I hope that continues, I might try to find some females.

I think using R/O water is working nicely. The store I got them at is insainly expensive they wanted $20 for 3 cherry shrimp ($10 if ur in there fish club) $11.99 or each badis and $21.99 for a 2"x4" patch of dwarf hair grass and I sorta gave the guy an *are you #$%@ing me? at least use lube* look and I got the hair grass for $7.99, the 3 shrimp for $15.99 and he took 10% off the whole thing on top of it and threw in there only giant hair grass for free cuz it was kind of in ruff shape.

Idk why they have some of there stuff priced so high.

Back
Top Bottom