What is going on????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bags101

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is going on with my plants? I dose 2 times a week with Flourish Comprehensive and have Seachem root tabs under all three swords. I have had 4 fish die and I dont know what is up. Amm. 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10. PH 8.0 Tank has been going for over a month now. I am getting Diatoms and I think that is normal for a tank less then 3 months old. I dont know what the problem is. I am running a wet-dry filter about 20 gallons. I am doing my 50% water change every week and also about a 10% everyday day because of my fish dying. I am using Prime every water change. Now all my plants are starting to die. Tank is about 1 1/2 month old... Can some body figure it out? Tank was cycled by pure Ammonia and fishless. Tank used to be a salt water tank but I cleaned it out very well. It is drilled...

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 116
T-5, 2 54W HO Marine-Glow on a 55 gallon fresh water. Lights are on for 7 hours a day...

My guess is the blue lighting you have isn't really going to do much for you plants, and your nitrates may be too low.
My experience with blue lighting has shown to promote algae growth, I loved the way my fw tank looked with marine lighting but my plants really seemed to suffer. I recommend you getting natural daylight bulbs in the 6500k to 6700k range, trim a couple of the leaves off to promote growth, and in time your nitrates will begin to rise as your tank matures.
If your fish are dying this may sugg

Sorry got cut off.
If your fish are dying then there may be other problems with your tank that is making it difficult for your plants grow. I still think your two main problems are your lighting and low nitrates.

My guess is the blue lighting you have isn't really going to do much for you plants, and your nitrates may be too low.
My experience with blue lighting has shown to promote algae growth, I loved the way my fw tank looked with marine lighting but my plants really seemed to suffer. I recommend you getting natural daylight bulbs in the 6500k to 6700k range, trim a couple of the leaves off to promote growth, and in time your nitrates will begin to rise as your tank matures.
If your fish are dying this may sugg

Thanks for the reply. I will go and get another light hopefully that will help..

Hi I had this same problem when I first set up my fresh water fish tank so I really think I can help.....hopefully lol!
Daxhua is right about the blue light, blue lighting is purely a visual light that helps to bring out colours of MARINE fish and corals it doesn't really give freshwater aquariums the nutrients it needs!
I would definitely STOP doing a 50% water change every week your not giving the tank/ biological filter a chance to reach it's natural climate. I no your in the states and hopefully they sell it there put get yourself a product called API Stress Zyme, a medium bottle and put about 8-10 caps in this will really really help to promote the biological filter work properly!
What tank do you have?
What size?
What fish?
What decoration, plants, stones, sand?
Hopefully we can get this sorted for you because I no how frustrating it can be!
Cheers :)

Hi I had this same problem when I first set up my fresh water fish tank so I really think I can help.....hopefully lol!
Daxhua is right about the blue light, blue lighting is purely a visual light that helps to bring out colours of MARINE fish and corals it doesn't really give freshwater aquariums the nutrients it needs!
I would definitely STOP doing a 50% water change every week your not giving the tank/ biological filter a chance to reach it's natural climate. I no your in the states and hopefully they sell it there put get yourself a product called API Stress Zyme, a medium bottle and put about 8-10 caps in this will really really help to promote the biological filter work properly!
What tank do you have?
What size?
What fish?
Hopefully we can get this sorted for you because I no how frustrating it can be!

It is a 55 gallon. Filter is a wet dry filter about 20 gallons the only fish are 2 yellow labs, 1 blue cobalt 1 bummble bee and 2 snails. All the fish are less the 1 1/2. the plants are 2 anubias, 1 ludwigia, and 3 swords. I have black sand and rock. Not sure what kind of rock it is...

Gorgeous fish!
I've looked into getting bumblebee fish but I have found out that they can be aggressive and they need BRACKISH ( slightly salted ) water conditions...!?
I would definitely stop doing the 50% water change every week, and I have found if you do want to do a water change only 5 - 20% every 3-4 weeks!
Does your filter contain carbon?

i have to ask... when you have a planted tank, quite heavily planted with big pieces of driftwood, not much gravel actually showing as its all hidden by leaves, wood etc, how do you go about cleaning? coz i wouldnt think it good moving everything around once a week.

Bumblebee cichlids need brackish water? Where did you hear that?! I believe you're thinking of bumblebee gobies lol everything else he listed are African cichlids, so I'm assuming that the bumblebee was also a cichlid

Freakgecko91.... Very good point, my mistake sorry! I assumed it was the goby, never really seen a bumblebee chichlids before.
But I still think 50% water change every week is way to much....!?? :/

Gorgeous fish!
I've looked into getting bumblebee fish but I have found out that they can be aggressive and they need BRACKISH ( slightly salted ) water conditions...!?
I would definitely stop doing the 50% water change every week, and I have found if you do want to do a water change only 5 - 20% every 3-4 weeks!
It did have carbon, but I took it out 4 days ago.

Freakgecko91.... Very good point, my mistake sorry! I assumed it was the goby, never really seen a bumblebee chichlids before.
But I still think 50% water change every week is way to much....!?? :/

He is a Cichlid. this is what he looks like.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
image.php

Tonino89 said:
What tank do you have?
What size?
What fish?

Actinic lights emit less photosyntheticly light than traditional bulbs, but will still help plants grow. It might not be strong growth, but they still emit PAR.

The bit about 50% water changes is entirely wrong, and possibly counter productive. By all means, do large PWC. As long as you dechlorinate and reasonably match water temp, you're not going to hurt your BB.

Why are you even assuming it a problem with his biofilter? He said his ammonia and nitrite are perfect.

Tonino89 said:
Gorgeous fish!

Once a month water changes ????
That is OLD and bad info !!!
Now we know frequent water changes keep TDS lower and fish are healthier, plus you won't get PH swings or crash the tank.

With large Cichlids and Goldfish with large bioloads (poop machines ) the more water changes the better. With super sensitive fish like Discus, some breeders suck out so much water the fish are on their sides !!! And they thrive !

Weekly is standard. 50% is a big change, but if the fish are happy and the water params are good, then it's fine.

People who do EI Dosing for plants also recommend large PWCs.

I know you meant well.

To the OP, sorry I don't know why your fish are dying. Our Africans used to be fed mostly veg and greens. Fresh Spinach, Romaine, Zucchini, Omega One Algae Wafers , frozen bloodworms once a week only.

Could it be a parasite ? What are the symptoms ? Could they be killing each other ?

Lol I thought these forums are people's experiences and opinions..... Not to tell people there wrong.... Or "bad info"..... No matter What you research on the Internet/ forums / magazines and find out about fish/tanks/plants everyone has had a different experience and it's trying to find what suites you and your aquarium so I was just giving a few ideas. First of all I have NEVER EVER done a 50% water change on any of my tanks and I have had my tanks for over 3 years now and I certainly never do it every week and they have been absolutely fine! Secondly I used marine glow lighting before because it looks great and the fish look good but it totally killed off my plants!
Good luck with your tank bags101 hope you get it sorted mate :)

Lol I thought these forums are people's experiences and opinions..... Not to tell people there wrong.... Or "bad info"..... No matter What you research on the Internet/ forums / magazines and find out about fish/tanks/plants everyone has had a different experience and it's trying to find what suites you and your aquarium so I was just giving a few ideas. First of all I have NEVER EVER done a 50% water change on any of my tanks and I have had my tanks for over 3 years now and I certainly never do it every week and they have been absolutely fine! Secondly I used marine glow lighting before because it looks great and the fish look good but it totally killed off my plants!
Good luck with your tank bags101 hope you get it sorted mate :)

Thanks for your help. I think I am going to change the light. I just dont know why the fish are dying. They are only an inch and they all swim together so I dont think when I turn off the lights they kill eachother.. I bought 9 at one store and 2 at another and all the 9 from the one store seems to be dying off. The others are fine. I know that the wet-dry filter is a nitrate factory but the params are only 10. I just cant figure it out...

Back
Top Bottom