What is going on????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bags101 said:
Thanks for your help. I think I am going to change the light. I just dont know why the fish are dying. They are only an inch and they all swim together so I dont think when I turn off the lights they kill eachother.. I bought 9 at one store and 2 at another and all the 9 from the one store seems to be dying off. The others are fine. I know that the wet-dry filter is a nitrate factory but the params are only 10. I just cant figure it out...

How long have you had the fish that are dying?

Lol I thought these forums are people's experiences and opinions..... Not to tell people there wrong.... Or "bad info"..... No matter What you research on the Internet/ forums / magazines and find out about fish/tanks/plants everyone has had a different experience and it's trying to find what suites you and your aquarium so I was just giving a few ideas. First of all I have NEVER EVER done a 50% water change on any of my tanks and I have had my tanks for over 3 years now and I certainly never do it every week and they have been absolutely fine! Secondly I used marine glow lighting before because it looks great and the fish look good but it totally killed off my plants!
Good luck with your tank bags101 hope you get it sorted mate :)

Forums are to share information, and sometimes opinions differ. We all try to hold one another to a standard of good information as well. Your suggestion against doing 50% water changes and adding a very questionable bacteria booster was brought up because it's very controversial. There's a lot of evidence that shows that large water changes are actually beneficial to the tank stock, so you can likely expect to get called on a statement like that no matter what forum you participate in.

Just try not to take it personal, we all try to be friendly here and strive to give good accurate info, so sometimes we will disagree on the finer points.

What symptoms are the fish having before they die?
Red blotches? Fuzz? Tipping to the side? Gasping? Clamped fins? Spots? Anything?

No blotches, no fuzz, no tipping to the side, no gasping,
The only thing i notice is they breathe really fast and dont swim around to much..

Any bullying? How long did you have them before they died? How did you acclimate them? How many did you loose? did they act odd from the start or get sick after you had them a while?
Sorry for all the questions just trying to get the whole picture :)

jetajockey said:
Forums are to share information, and sometimes opinions differ. We all try to hold one another to a standard of good information as well. Your suggestion against doing 50% water changes and adding a very questionable bacteria booster was brought up because it's very controversial. There's a lot of evidence that shows that large water changes are actually beneficial to the tank stock, so you can likely expect to get called on a statement like that no matter what forum you participate in.

Just try not to take it personal, we all try to be friendly here and strive to give good accurate info, so sometimes we will disagree on the finer points.

Very much appreciated mate :)! And no, none offence has been taken at all..... I have been running tanks for a long time and as I mentioned before I have never done 50% water change always been advised not to do one that big unless there's a SERIOUS problem with the aquarium.... If anything I'm actually going to give one of my tanks a 40-50% water change because it been running for a long time without out1, mine have been running in-between 1-3 years, I only ever do 10-20% every month just to get some of the nasty crap out of gravel! the problem is in London water is VERY VERY hard and contains alot of chlorine and nasty bacteria..... I wouldn't even drink out of the tap lol:)! But it's good to here different opinions and suggestions I just don't think any info is "bad info" It's just another opinion, it's good to here what you guys do over in the states anyway, :) cheers

Any bullying? How long did you have them before they died? How did you acclimate them? How many did you loose? did they act odd from the start or get sick after you had them a while?
Sorry for all the questions just trying to get the whole picture :)

There is no bullying, They are about an inch long and all swim together. I lost 6 already. I acclimated by floating the bag for 1/2 hour then adding my water and waiting 15 minutes then adding more of my water and waiting again. When the bag was double of what it was I dumped it half out and filled it half way up again with my water it took about an 45 minutes to an hour. They seemed like that were fine then they just started dropping..

All from the same store?
They might have something or it might be bad stock. If they are showing no signs of anything it's hard to tell. :/ If it where me id add some salt to the tank and keep up the water changes to keep the water as clean as possible.
Have you contacted to LFS you got them from?

Last edited:
Yes they were all from the same store. I did not call them. I am going there tomorrow and talk with them. I cant see anything on them so I am not sure what is up. They just breathe really heavy then the next day they are dead..

What kind of salt? If it has ANTI-Caking agent in it that is not to be used right??? I have Alessi 100% Natural Coarse sea salt that does not contain Iodide would that be ok to use?

Bags101 said:
What kind of salt? If it has ANTI-Caking agent in it that is not to be used right??? I have Alessi 100% Natural Coarse sea salt that does not contain Iodide would that be ok to use?

If its just salt and no additives it's fine to use.

I remember a link on this site that tells you how much to add. Do you know were that link is? It is a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump...

The usual dosage is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. It can be a bit off because of the different grain sizes of salt but it usually does the job.

Should I put it right into the tank or put it into the sump?

Bags101 said:
Should I put it right into the tank or put it into the sump?

Get a bucket if tank water, add the full dose and dissolve. Add 1/4 of the solution every 6-12 hours. Just tip it in front of an area of high flow so it's distributed quickly.

If your fish look like their gasping for air then maybe you don't have enough surface agitation for gas exchange.
I'm sorry I missed the reason for adding salt to your tank so I'm gonna ask.
Why are you adding salt to your tank?

It may be that the fish store were your getting the fish from is bad. I know a while back every fish that I purchased from a certain lfs kept dying. Your situation sounds like mine back then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom