What's a normal bubble rate for CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1980

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everybody,

My parents gave me a Hagen CO2 system for Christmas. I finally set it up and it puts out a bubble every 5-8 seconds. It's been running for almost 2 weeks. My friend did a DIY and it blows a few bubbles every second. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is that normal? By the way it's a 20 Gallon. Other question, Any suggestions for a DIY Canister filter would be greatly appreciated. Right now I've got a bio Wheel on there which I want to get rid of.

:morning:

Here is the recipe everyone uses. From CC originally One cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon bread yeast and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Use warm (not hot water) and shake gently. Should get a bubble every 4 seconds at least at peak. Get rid of the bio wheel for sure. Aqua Clear 200 HOBs are real quiet and low current.

Quote from CC original recipe:
I've also found the homemade ingredients work better. still 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon bread yeast (perhaps a little bit more). I think it's more yeast that makes it bubble better, but I'm not positive. You probably know this, but that's all that is in the Hagen packets, yeast in one, baking soda in the other On 2 liter soda bottles, I use 6 cups water, 2 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and yeast. They last almost 4 weeks.

Well I never use bread yeast in my DIY mixes. And I use the jello mix and get 4-6 weeks of production this time of year out of one bottle.

Its the fact that you're still using that tiny grey canister that comes with the Hagen kit...it holds much less sugar, water and there fore CO2 than a 2 liter bottle would. 2 2liter bottles (or 1 gallon bottle) will be enough CO2 for a 20gallon tank.

I use bread yeast and have no issues. its cheap and available no matter where you live (unlike wine yeast, which is what I think Rex prefers)

Correct, I use wine yeast. Lasts much longer and gives a much more steady rate.

And I use the jello mix and get 4-6 weeks of production this time of year out of one bottle.

Now, I don't have the jello recipe, care to share, Rex?

Well I mix up the Knox Blocks recipe using just water instead of juice and use around a cup of sugar for each packet of Knox. Then I let it jell and cut it up and use it in the bottle. Make sure it is at room temp before adding the yeast and I still add a bit of sugar water to get the yeast started.

I may try some homemade recipies inside my hagen. It seems like everything I hear the Hagen is horrible and a DIY is better, but at this point I bought it so I'm using it. Still any suggestions on a DIY Canister Filter.

:morning:

Hmm... I was rude, I told the truth and they did not like my FAQ.

i don't think the hagen is horrible... it just depends on what you use it for. it works fabulously on my 10 gal, its a jungle. a 20 gal may need a bigger canister for more sugar and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom