Which would be better? -- light fixture choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering, for a planted 10 gallon tank (20"), which would be better (higher) lighting:
Trying to make this 18" fit lol: Current-USA-18"-T-5-fixture-2x20w and have all the light over the tank with 40w or have this lighting: Current-USA-24-Nova-Extreme-T-5-fixture-2x24w where I'd have 4" of overhang but 8w more, and it would be a little easier to fit due to the sliding mounting legs? Also what lighting would these be on a 10 g tank (high, medium, low)? Thanks :) And of course I'd get them somewhere where they would be the FW version lol.

there are a couple of things to consider one being light leak. Your room will be lit with the overhang. So any wattage gained by the longer bulb will be lost by misdirection. However if you plan on getting a bigger tank in the future you may want the 24" as that will be a good half of a 48" 55 gallon.

The difference is $15. The bulbs themselves are shorter than 24" minus a little bit for the metal cap as well. I would tend to the 24" fixture because of the usability on a 20 gall or 55 gal in the future.

Thanks. Yeah, I won't be able to upgrade the tank really, because I have 5 already, and the parental units (lol) wouldn't be too happy about another tank (unless I got rid of one). Are there any lighting fixture suggestions that anyone would recommend for a 10 gal tank? I'm kinda wanting at least medium light plants, but wouldn't mind getting one good enough for high light ones lol. Also, I'm was curious if DIY CO2 be worth it on a 10g or would Excel be able to make up for that? What other ferts should I be looking into? Thanks.

This one would let you grow most anything you want and fits quite nicely over the aquarium. There is also a 1 bulb version that would get you solidly into medium light.

Thanks PB, although I saw that the 1 bulb version was discontinued :(. The only downside (that I see) with that one is I'd have to buy a replacement bulb, since plants don't really need actinics, and the bulb isn't cheap ($20) lol.

Back
Top Bottom