Clown Loach (Botia Macracantha) - Submitted by sudz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Submitted by: Sudz

Clown Loach – Botia Macracantha

Common Names: Clown Loach, Tiger Botia

Category: Cypriniformes

Suborder: Cyprinoidei

Family: Cobitidae

General: Botia

Origin: Indonesia

Main Ecosystem: Slow flowing rivers and shallow lakes.

Salinity: Freshwater

Temperament: Community fish. Clown loaches tend to be fairly skittish but also provide comic relief to your tank due to their sometimes silly behavior. They like snug caves in which they can hide, and like to dig in fine gravel.

Diet: Omnivorous. Feed bloodworms, brine shrimp, flaked foods, carnivore pellets, shrimp pellets, live worms, insects and brine shrimp.

Care: This fish isn't picky on food. It will clean up leftover food stuck in the substrate, and it is VERY good at controlling your snail population. It will eat snail eggs and is known to eat small snails once the loach is grown up.

Clown loaches have no special requirements on water conditions; they do, however, prefer a certain aquarium setup to be at their best. A tank size of 48 inches is recommended, with the length being more important than the depth. It is very important to have a soft or fine-textured substrate as they are continually probing the upper layers with their barbels for food. The tank does not need to be heavily planted, but the fish are shy and must have a place to hide. Driftwood DIY caves and even clay flowerpots have been very successful.

PH: 6 - 7.5, prefers around 6.8.

Temperature: 75ºF - 85ºF, thrives around 80ºF.

Hardness: Soft to medium hardness is desired.

Potential size: Known to grow to 12-14 inches when healthy, but usually does not exceed 8-10 inches in captivity.

Water Region: Stays to the bottom half of the tank.

Activity: Quite active at times, even playful. They are known to give new owners a scare by "playing dead". They have a tendency to sleep on their side, giving them a quite "dead" look to the passerby. They also get themselves lodged in odd places, like between rocks or the heater and your wall. I have never had to help my loach out of one of these situations. It usually wiggles its way out when it wants to.

Lifespan: Typically 10 years, known to live up to 20 when healthy.

Color: Orange base with 3 black triangular stripes.

Mouth: Downward facing, with slight whiskers.

Sexing: No easily identifiable way to tell sex of fish; however, some say males can be identified by a slightly larger tail that hooks inward as opposed to the tail of the female, which points straight out from the body.

Acclimation: This fish does not have any scales, and is rather smooth. It is more prone to ich as a result. Quarantine is recommended when adding a new fish to a established clown loach's tank. Sharp temperature changes can also be an issue. During a 6 hour power outage, my tank fell to 72ºF, and my loach became very lazy and didn't like to move, even when touched.

Breeding: Clown loaches very rarely breed in home aquariums. If they do, it is usually "by accident" and unplanned.

Comments: Clown loaches are a social fish, and like being around other clown loaches...thus its better to keep 3-4 clown loaches, rather than a single clown. However, when young, clowns will school with other loaches, such as the yo-yo loach.

My loach is a great addition to my fish tank, and it seems to follow my chinese algae eater around. Definitely a friendly community fish great for the properly informed beginner and above.

Sources:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/clown_loach.php

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/botia_macracanthus.html

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile13.html

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/clown.html

clownloach.jpg

I love my loaches! Soon starting a second tank just for them and my common pleco. They are very entertaining :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130807_211046.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_211046.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 358
  • ForumRunner_20130807_211057.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_211057.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 400
  • ForumRunner_20130807_211110.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_211110.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 385
  • ForumRunner_20130807_211120.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_211120.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 391
They are really nice. I do really like loaches had them in my 1st tank didn't work out people at the shop ill informed me about need to properly cycle.older and wiser now hopefully be gettin another new tank next yr they wil be top of the list! :)

Will clowns be ok with Salt for treating ick?
I raised the temp to about 84 and that seemed to help but I still see ick present.
Before I try with chemicals, I want to try the temperature and salt treatments.

Will clowns be ok with Salt for treating ick?
I raised the temp to about 84 and that seemed to help but I still see ick present.
Before I try with chemicals, I want to try the temperature and salt treatments.

Rid Ich + is safe for loaches. My clowns brought it to my tank and Rid Ich + saved them and my community.

This is my experience of the clown loach, Chromobotia Macracanthus.
I estimate my clowns to be 6-10 years, they've been in my care for 5-8 years. The shoal is 11 strong. The largest is:-
Chromobotia Macracanthus | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Or
Chromobotia Macracanthus | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have been led to understand they live for as long as 30 years.

Bloodworms are an essential dietary requirement this will prevent skinny disease. This is where the fish waste away and die.

More is definitely better as they have a complex social relationship with each other. They form a family group. I would aim for the softer side of water parameters 6.5/6.8 they most definitely seem happier in this range.

They are very sensitive fish which prefer warmer than average temperature for a tropical tank.

Spirulina flake really brings out the colour which seems to fade a bit with age, with practice they will take this from your fingertips. They will also eat sinking catfish pellets, like they've never been fed before. Also sinking algae wafers are really enjoyed.

I wouldn't advise allowing them to search for scraps as this will open up the path to internal bacteria issues.

They have a defensive spine in the cheek which is retractable, this can be seen just below the eyes, use a wide hole net or allow the fish to free itself if it becomes entangled.

They make clicking sounds which can be heard at night time, I guess this is some form of communication.

They prefer to eat at lights out, either end of the day.

Sand should cover a fair portion of the substrate.

They have a hooked spike tongue which is used to free snails from the shells.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 267
Can the group of 4 to 6 loaches be of different size? or should they all be the same size?

Can the group of 4 to 6 loaches be of different size? or should they all be the same size?

Size is not very important. I have 5, the oldest two I've had for 20 years. The other three are half the size but they all get along and play together . Just remember they get big.

Size is not very important. I have 5, the oldest two I've had for 20 years. The other three are half the size but they all get along and play together . Just remember they get big.

They must be massive! Post a pic or a link for me please. I want to see what I've got to look forward to.

I have a 60gal tank and want clown loaches so desperately but I'm not sure if my tank is big enough :( if I do get some I would get at least 3, but more likely 5... Do you think I could get that many loaches and have then be comfortable?

I have a 60gal tank and want clown loaches so desperately but I'm not sure if my tank is big enough :( if I do get some I would get at least 3, but more likely 5... Do you think I could get that many loaches and have then be comfortable?

No, you need atleast a 150g.

I'm glad someone said something about them playing dead! One night I was looking at my tank and I saw one of my clowns sitting on top of a little cave I have, slowly swaying side to side, barely moving. I was so worried I thought he was sick! I woke up the next morning and he was totally fine, swimming with the others. I've now realized he just nestles himself into a small indent in the top of the cave and sleeps there every night lol. Gave me a fright for sure.

Back
Top Bottom