Biorb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi im thinking of getting a biorb 60, to keep tropical fish. What are people's opinions on this aquarium?

What sort of community could i stock this with?

Umm all nano fish. A school or two of galaxy rasbora and then ember tetra . And possibly a centrepiece and shrimp.

1x Siamese Fighter
2x Galaxy Rasbora
6x WCMM
6x Black Neon Tetra
2x Ottocinclus
4x Assorted Platy
I have been told this would be a good stock list for my biorb 60 what does everyone think?

Bilko said:
1x Siamese Fighter
2x Galaxy Rasbora
6x WCMM
6x Black Neon Tetra
2x Ottocinclus
4x Assorted Platy
I have been told this would be a good stock list for my biorb 60 what does everyone think?

I see that as overstocked, remove the platies and boost up the galaxies and you ought to be fine.

Thanks very much, sounds like good advice.

What shrimp would you recommend (if any) in this setup?

IMO the Biorb is essentially an overpriced fishbowl with a junky UGF. You could piece together something nicer for less money, or just use a large fishbowl with a sponge filter. JMO.

Agree that the list you were given is not likely to work out in the long term, especially not in a 60L. Also, I would caution you on keeping WCMM with galaxy rasbora/celestial pearl danio. IMO the WCMM are much too boisterous to be kept with the galaxys, and will almost certainly outcompete them for food. Same goes for the black neons. The betta should work, but some are more aggressive than others and may harass other fish.

If you want to stock tiny fish like galaxys, you should probably stick with just tiny fish.

What sort of stock list would you recommend if i wanted slighty larger fish?

Hmm, for slightly larger fish I would say maybe the Betta, with a group of something like harlequin rasbora. Espei rasbora even stay a little smaller and would be great for a 60L. As I mentioned, a Betta can be hit or miss- some are really laid back, and some are just nasty! If you can find a croaking gourami (Trichopsis vittata), that would make a great centerpiece in place of the Betta if you decide to not chance it.

With any of the fish I just mentioned, young shrimp (and possibly older shrimp) will likely be eaten. You could get like one or two Amano shrimp in place of RCS, rili, etc. Amanos get a lot bigger than the Neocaridinas. They're also typically less shy.

Thanks alot, you have given me alot of good options. My biorb is still cycling at the moment so i still have a little bit of time to decide.
Please keep your ideas coming. The more i know the better it will hopefully turn out.

No problem, if I had been aware that you already had the tank I wouldn't have said anything about it. ;)

Is there anything else you are interested in? Are there certain colors you prefer? Maybe that would help narrow your options.

Bright yellows and blues stand out alot so i might look at that!

Back
Top Bottom