Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFreak1961

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be getting four starter corals from swfish.com tomorrow. These are my first corals and I just wondered how they get along with anemones? Mine have not moved much since I bought them. Should I place them as far away from each other as possible? Do you have to attach the corals somehow or just sit them down on a rock? Close to my t5 light probably? Does a calcium supplement cause algae to grow more? Seeing a little hair looking white stuff now. My tank is one year old almost. What are good parameters for corals?
Enough questions, right?

What kind of corals are you getting?

You do not need to add calcium to your system.
Depending on the corals you get you may need to attach them to the rock either with an epoxy or superglue gel. again depending on the corals
Anemones and corals don't mix well but that's only if they touch. The anemone is going to win every time. If your anemone has stayed put I would say you will be fine placing your corals.

PH 8.1-8.3
Alk 9
Calcium 400-450
Mag 1200ish
Nitrates - 20 or less Less is always better here
Good flow and good lighting are also key

Leather toadstools
Colt coral
Chili coral
Green ricordea
My ph is 8.4ish,possibly higher. calcium not at 400
Salinity 25
Temp 77.8most the time

The Chili Coral is a non-photosynthetic soft coral. While hardy and relatively easy to care for, the Chili Coral has very specific needs that require proper attention for it to thrive. An established reef aquarium aquascaped with ample live rock overhangs and ledges provides an ideal environment. The Chili Coral requires low lighting levels combined with medium to strong indirect water movement. Place the Chili Coral underneath live rock overhangs and out of direct bright light to prevent damaging stress. The Chili Coral will not usually fully open in direct water current. Water flow provided by a powerhead or wavemaker directed at the glass or nearby rock is ideal. Though peaceful, the Chili Coral (and other soft corals) should be given ample space between neighboring corals or anemones to accommodate for growth and potential coral aggression.
Similar to other non-photosynthetic soft corals the Chili Coral obtains nutrients through active filter feeding. The Chili Coral does not contain symbiotic algae to rely on for food. Therefore, the diet of the Chili Coral must include live or frozen rotifers, baby brine shrimp, prawn eggs, and micro-plankton or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates. For continued good health, supplement with strontium, iodine, and trace elements.

You may have already done your research on this but just make sure you are ready to keep a non-photosynthetic coral fed.

your PH is and calcium are fine at those levels. You don't need a ton of calcium since you don't have any hard corals. As long as the PH is stable it being a little high will not effect anything.

Here are pics of them this morning. Looking a little droopy. Is that
a sign of impending death? Is the chili in too much light T5HO and how
long do I need to leave that on? I thought the leather toad would have
tentacles or something, is it supposed to be smooth? The tank has a
background. All the new ones are far front on the rock that isn't live.
Are they placed good? I'm really worried about the colt. My water is
ok, except nitrates are almost 20. I am testing little or no ammonia.
Weird. May be the tests. API and Tetra both are not showing ammonia.
I'm trying this weekend to lower that. Use Salifert to test Nitrates
I hope they'll be okay.
Judy

Attachments

• 100_0986.jpg
    100_0986.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_0985.jpg
    100_0985.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_0984.jpg
    100_0984.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 73
The toadstool will go through phases where it sloths or slimes and when that is going on the polyps will all be retracted. give it a few days and it will get happy again. Since it is stretching towards the light I say it is doing ok. The other coral is in the same boat. Not happy yet but give it a few days, shipping can be rough on a coral.

I would run the lights 8-10 hours per day. A timer is a good thing to have

The coral seem to be coming around a bit tonite, especially
the colt. The chili coral is not blooming like it did last nite.
I notice my pygmy angel nipping at it, will that kill chili?
I can't wait to see the toad open back up! Thanks for the
info! Wish me luck!

I will be getting four starter corals from swfish.com tomorrow. These are my first corals and I just wondered how they get along with anemones? Mine have not moved much since I bought them. Should I place them as far away from each other as possible? Do you have to attach the corals somehow or just sit them down on a rock? Close to my t5 light probably? Does a calcium supplement cause algae to grow more? Seeing a little hair looking white stuff now. My tank is one year old almost. What are good parameters for corals?
Enough questions, right?
Not sure t5 are good enough for keeping corals, my living reef tank has forced me to spend £1300 on new lighting a KR2 LED, I found that my heteracis crispa anemone climed across some corals killing them until it was happy it was getting adequate light

Here are pics of them this morning. Looking a little droopy. Is that
a sign of impending death? Is the chili in too much light T5HO and how
long do I need to leave that on? I thought the leather toad would have
tentacles or something, is it supposed to be smooth? The tank has a
background. All the new ones are far front on the rock that isn't live.
Are they placed good? I'm really worried about the colt. My water is
ok, except nitrates are almost 20. I am testing little or no ammonia.
Weird. May be the tests. API and Tetra both are not showing ammonia.
I'm trying this weekend to lower that. Use Salifert to test Nitrates
I hope they'll be okay.
Judy
your calcium should be 400+, Nitrates do not want to be above 20mg/L, not all toadstools have tentacles, i'm sure they will all stand up once they get used to your tank

Well, I wound up discarding my toadstool because he fell over and broke
and I was afraid he was releasing toxins and he never did open up any
and seemed to be drying up around the edges. I didn't want my tank to
crash over him. My chili coral is still doing good and all my rics are
seeming happy, although one has disappeared. My new long tentacle anemone is eating and has not moved since I bought him last week and took a piece of shrimp tonite. He is right on the bottom and I have the powerhead blowing over him. Must be happy. The other anemones are great. The curly ques and they aren't offering to kill anyone. Happy to say that my tank is peaceful.
My lights must be just enough.

Back
Top Bottom