Craigslist Find... 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wailing Banshee

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went a little eBay/Craigslist crazy last weekend. I've been scrubbing tanks and filters for two days. I just did the math and the "90 gallon" is really a "75," but it came with a solid wood stand, light, HOB filter and lots of extras: $100 plus a bag of Black Dynamite medium grain (quite a few forum members suggested this and I love it) and a can of stain.

I also grabbed two 30 gallon tanks with stands and lots of extras.

Here are a few before and afters of the 75 in progress (the centerpiece was one of the many extras I got)...

image-3281161471.jpg

image-26390277.jpg

image-491610469.jpg

Looks great! (y)

C.list really is a great places for used stuff or new. My LFS had outside a 200g maybe 300g for free. Plenty of scrubbing to do on that tank believe it was a used sump or something....No, I didnt take it...lol

Looks great! (y)

C.list really is a great places for used stuff or new. My LFS had outside a 200g maybe 300g for free. Plenty of scrubbing to do on that tank believe it was a used sump or something....No, I didnt take it...lol

200 gallons to scrub... Hurts my back to think of it. The 75 had goldfish in it with 3 inches of mystery substrate-gag.

I didn't measure before I filled it up-the HOBs won't fit on the back. Doh! I have to drain it and start all over.

I hear ya! lol! I bought the 130g from c.list & had to do the scrubbing for a few days before it got where I wanted it to be. Then I still wasnt happy & went at it again. I kept telling myself that I got it at a great price so keep scrubbing and shut up!

I hear ya! lol! I bought the 130g from c.list & had to do the scrubbing for a few days before it got where I wanted it to be. Then I still wasnt happy & went at it again. I kept telling myself that I got it at a great price so keep scrubbing and shut up!

I used vinegar and baking soda but can't get the hard water stains off, especially the filter lids. Any suggestions?

I did vinegar as well & left it in there for a day. I then filled the tank with water & ran it through the filter system The top section of the tank to the right maybe 4 inch across when doing PWC you can see see the glass stained- foggy. When filled with water its crystal clear. I just hate knowing it's there- So, to sum it up I dont know what else would remove it, sorry ...lol

I did vinegar as well & left it in there for a day. I then filled the tank with water & ran it through the filter system The top section of the tank to the right maybe 4 inch across when doing PWC you can see see the glass stained- foggy. When filled with water its crystal clear. I just hate knowing it's there- So, to sum it up I dont know what else would remove it, sorry ...lol

I just ordered my first canister filter just now. I went with a Fluval. Until I joined this forum, I only considered a HOB for a freshwater. $199, free shipping for the Fluval 406 model. I hope it's worth it! Now I don't have to drain and move the aquarium for the HOB.

Razor blades, the vinegar softens the stain and the blade chisels it off nicely. It requires a lot of patience though, it's not a speedy process.

Razor blades, the vinegar softens the stain and the blade chisels it off nicely. It requires a lot of patience though, it's not a speedy process.

My first canister filter ever has arrived for my 75 gallon! Now, who wants to set this up for me? :)

image-2382605829.jpg

Back
Top Bottom