Hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogurako

Aquarium Advice Addict
After talking about my fish to a lady at work she says I can have this tank that's just sitting in her shed. Turns out it's a 30-40 gal hexagon tank with stand and everything. I'm not very good with guessing odd shape tanks holding capacity it seems to be about 28-30 inches tall my guess is 30 gal. I'll post pictures when I pick it up.

So my question is what would be something cool I could do with this tank? I was thinking a planted tank with plants that will grow the height of the water column ( that are easy to care for) and a pair of angles, pygmy cores, a smaller pleco of some sort and some cherry shrimp.

That's the first thing that came to mind but I'm open to suggestions.

Well, there are a couple problems with hex tanks that I think you'll soon learn. Lighting them is a paid. Not only because of their depth, but because they're not very wide. This also works against you in stocking. I wouldn't put an angel in a hex tank, unless it was at least 3' wide. I'm guessing your tank is 18-20" wide? You can definitely do some cool things with those tanks, but it's going to take time, patience, and a little ingenuity.

I got a free one along the very same lines and it's a nice tank but I never could seem to find anything that would be just right with the amount of swim room across. So.. there's a betta currently inhabiting it until I get clever. :p

MF yea I believe that it is only 18-20 wide, I'll have to see about spotlights or something for it for extra lighting.

Is there any kind of fish that would do well in there? It is a tricky tank now that I think about it.

Back
Top Bottom