It's Betta Bruins!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
So today I went to Petco, just browsing around the selections, seeing if they happen to have anything I wanted. Believe it or not, there were no dead fish in the tanks, and they were all happy and very healthy. The lady seemed to know her stuff, so I decided that this was a very decent Petco. I was just browsing around the betta section and then-OMIGOSH! I fell in love with this beautiful blue-and-yellowish betta! He's a Halfmoon Double Tail Plakat Male and he is stunning! Along with his dominant yellow-and-blue coloration, he also has some hints of purple on his scales and little orangish tinges on the tips of his fins! He was awesome! He HAD to be mine!

Currently he's being housed in a five gallon tank that was originally intended for bumblebee gobies, but it can wait! I used some already pre-established media from my filters and used an Aquaeon 30 along with another heater from my tank! I'm checking the water parameters everyday and changing about .5 gallons of water daily. His home has a shell, a terra cotta pot, two anubias, and two java fern. He's really a great fish! He's a little shy though, but I expect him to perk up soon!

I'll show you a pic when I can! He really is quite the charmer, in fact the female betta next to him was staring at him the whole time and was looking at him when I took him!

Anyone have any tank mate suggestions? I really want his tank to look nice! Also do you have any suggestions for lights for this tank? Right now I am using a desk top lamp. Thanks! :)

Sounds like a good pick up. The petco near me is pretty rough, but there's one an extra 15 minutes away that is great. If I got a betta, that's where it would be from.

As far as tank mates go, I personally love small rasboras. Phoenix rasboras might work, they stay about 3/4", if I remember correctly. Ember Tetras are nice, small, and colorful also. I personally would have a school fish and the betta as the centerpiece.

What are the dimensions of the tank? There's nothing wrong with a desktop lamp for small aquariums, as long as there's a piece of glass or something to keep the fish in the tank.

Sounds like a good pick up. The petco near me is pretty rough, but there's one an extra 15 minutes away that is great. If I got a betta, that's where it would be from.

As far as tank mates go, I personally love small rasboras. Phoenix rasboras might work, they stay about 3/4", if I remember correctly. Ember Tetras are nice, small, and colorful also. I personally would have a school fish and the betta as the centerpiece.

What are the dimensions of the tank? There's nothing wrong with a desktop lamp for small aquariums, as long as there's a piece of glass or something to keep the fish in the tank.

Thanks! :)

They have ember tetras down here at the LFS. But I'm just wondering about the tank size, I don't know if I can squeeze that into five gallons.

I'm not sure what the dimensions are, but the reason being I'm asking is because it gives off a sort-of moonlight glow, which isn't really what I'm looking for. Any suggestions for any lights?

Here are the dimensions: 13x18x10 inches.

Here were today's test results before the water change:
pH: 7.4-7.6, it was dark on the pH test but really light brown on the high pH test.
ammonia: .25 ppm
nitrites: 0 ppm
nitrates: 0 ppm

Looks like the filter media has some work to do! :)

I changed about .5 gallons today.

Here are some photos! He has really perked up and is now chasing his reflection all over the tank! But unfortunately he does not want to sit still for a photo op! This is the best I got of him so far!

I think a school of embers would work, they don't get bigger than 2cm, which is about 3/4". Just keep the school to a smaller size. Maybe 5 or 6?

As far as lights go, you can probably get a good clip on light. I'll post a couple of links. With that size tank, I feel like clip on is your simplest and cheapest solution.

Links:

-Archae 13W
-Aqua Forest Lights
-Finnex Daylight/Moonlight

I haven't personally used any of these, but reviews are probably all over the internet.

Dangora said:
I think a school of embers would work, they don't get bigger than 2cm, which is about 3/4". Just keep the school to a smaller size. Maybe 5 or 6?

As far as lights go, you can probably get a good clip on light. I'll post a couple of links. With that size tank, I feel like clip on is your simplest and cheapest solution.

Links:

-Archae 13W
-Aqua Forest Lights
-Finnex Daylight/Moonlight

I haven't personally used any of these, but reviews are probably all over the internet.

I think I'll do a school of six ember tetras. If that doesn't work they can always go in the thirty.

I'll look at the lights, I think they have some at the LFS. Thanks :)

Good luck and keep updating your new acquisitions for this tank. Can't wait to see the outcome. I think ember tetras will look great with that betta.

I think I'll do a school of six ember tetras. If that doesn't work they can always go in the thirty.

I'll look at the lights, I think they have some at the LFS. Thanks :)
a betta shouldnt have fish tankmates in anything less than a 10,in a 5 only inverts would work IMO

a betta shouldnt have fish tankmates in anything less than a 10,in a 5 only inverts would work IMO

Okay. They had some amano shrimp and red cherries at the store last time, I think I'll try some of those :)

Edit: or...just an idea I'm throwing up there...what about a pair of endler's livebearers? I kinda like them...just an idea...

Last edited:
Okay. They had some amano shrimp and red cherries at the store last time, I think I'll try some of those :)

Edit: or...just an idea I'm throwing up there...what about a pair of endler's livebearers? I kinda like them...just an idea...

I think that could work. However, i would test his aggression before you buy anything to go in his tank, or at least have a back up plan. My male and female bettas just won't tolerate anything in their tank. A ghost shrimp does good to go under the radar, an they are like B52 stealth bombers when it comes to a bright colored fish/shrimp.

I think that could work. However, i would test his aggression before you buy anything to go in his tank, or at least have a back up plan. My male and female bettas just won't tolerate anything in their tank. A ghost shrimp does good to go under the radar, an they are like B52 stealth bombers when it comes to a bright colored fish/shrimp.

Hmm...okay. I'll see how it goes. IDK, my betta likes to attack his reflection. Is that a healthy thing for him to do? I always have the thirty the endler's and shrimp can go into if it doesn't work out.

my betta likes to attack his reflection. Is that a healthy thing for him to do?

Mine did that for two weeks and has finally stopped. once he stopped he became much more curious about me and comes to the front of the tank a lot now. He still flashes at his reflection now and then but nothing like when I first got him.

Mine did that for two weeks and has finally stopped. once he stopped he became much more curious about me and comes to the front of the tank a lot now. He still flashes at his reflection now and then but nothing like when I first got him.

Thanks! I'll let him settle down and then add his tankmates. :)

Yep, mine did too. Every time he saw his reflection he would flare like mad. It is okay for them to flare a little, but not constantly.

When he does calm down, you could do what I did. I just got a ghost shrimp from my 20g and used him as a "test subject". May sound cruel, but I keep a close watch on his actions. If the betta goes after it relentlessly, I consider it hopeless for tankmates, except for maybe a snail. If it just kinda ignores it, then it is definately worth a try for some friends.

Yep, mine did too. Every time he saw his reflection he would flare like mad. It is okay for them to flare a little, but not constantly.

When he does calm down, you could do what I did. I just got a ghost shrimp from my 20g and used him as a "test subject". May sound cruel, but I keep a close watch on his actions. If the betta goes after it relentlessly, I consider it hopeless for tankmates, except for maybe a snail. If it just kinda ignores it, then it is definately worth a try for some friends.

Okay, I will try. Ghost shrimp seem like a good way to start. He's really exploring the tank. But I really want the endler's, and I have a spare thirty gallon they can always go into or a ten gallon that's gonna be setup soon...

Back
Top Bottom