My 72 gal bow front soon to be reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShooterRick

Aquarium Advice Freak
ShooterRicks 72 gal bowfront: What I got for my 75.00$ and pics.

I cleaned up most of the major components and equipment yesterday and today and took a few quick
pics. Since I wasn't sure how all was treated before I got it I filled the tank out under our carport and will let set for leak test until Tuesday. Tomorrow night if no leaks are evident I plan on testing the pumps to make sure they all work including the wave timer and light timer. My thoughts so far are I got a whale of a deal on all this. Besides the obvious there is a 5 stage RO setup, ultraviolet sterilizer and a stand alone refugium that I am not sure I will set up yet. The sump is actually a plastic wet dry filter that I may use with no bio media and just have some particulate filtration in the trays and reserve a tray for carbon if I choose to run it. I have no idea yet how the recirculating skimmer works or was set up. There may be room with some partitions added to the sump to have a small refugium in it but I doubt it. Pics below of the score.
72bowfront2_215.jpg

72bowfront2_217.jpg

72bowfront2_219.jpg

72bowfront2_232.jpg

I think since I saved so much on the set up that I will get at least 300 watts of T5 lighting for it and set up corals with a light fish load of a school of blue chromis, transfer my marroon clown,jewel damsel, purple psuedochromis and add a nice anemone with the corals and a flame angel, a smaller species of tang as was mentioned.

ShooterRick said:
I think since I saved so much on the set up that I will get at least 300 watts of T5 lighting for it and set up corals with a light fish load of a school of blue chromis, transfer my marroon clown,jewel damsel, purple psuedochromis and add a nice anemone with the corals and a flame angel, a smaller species of tang as was mentioned.

Cool! Just be careful, sometimes Angels can destroy reef tanks due to their taste for corals.

I plan on adding a decent 48 inch T5 light system over the canopy. The top of the canopy is 7.5 inches from the water surface and I am thinking 300 plus watts. I may have to wait till christmas for that. LOL

72 hrs 72 gallons

Yehaa. 72 hrs on my carport and no leaks. I am pumping the water out tomorrow and moving indoors.

I tested all the current pumps and utility pumps and it seems all work with the exception of the return pump. I pulled the head off and it looked pretty clean so I am not sure what the problem is. If I get it working I have decided to use it as a back up and to mix salt water for changes ect.

That said I am looking at the Quiet One submersible pump model 2200 as a return pump. The tank will be in our livingroom so quiet is important.

If I am figureing correctly I will have to valve down the outflow. It is rated at 594 gph at 10ft head pressure. If you figure 2x850 Hydor current pumps, the small utility pump on the skimmer, a 1600 gph wave maker pump on a pulse timer and the return pump with aprox 90 total gallons of water between the tank and sump that seems like a lot of flow.

Cool, glad you haven't had any leaks, that would be a bummer. Good luck with your return pump, even if you can't get it to work, at least you still got an amazing price on a bunch of stuff that does work. :)

Cool, glad you haven't had any leaks, that would be a bummer. Good luck with your return pump, even if you can't get it to work, at least you still got an amazing price on a bunch of stuff that does work. :)

You bet! I am concerned about the SS heater. I notice the plastic mounting bracket on it is melted badly on one side. Not sure what that means but it doesnt look good. I have not plugged it in yet. It has a seperate controller mounted on the stand. It makes me a bit nervous but sooner or later I will try it out in a bucket or something. Wish i had a current tester to dip in the water when I do. LOL

Pumped out the water tonight and will move all indoors tomorrow. I used a utility pump they had 20 ft of 3/4 inch tubing attached to with a ball valve. I had at first thought well this is the pump that services the SWC Octopus DNW 150 skimmer but why did they have that much hose attached to it. Maybe they used it to move water from their RO barrels to the tank and such. Will a MaxiJet 1200 serve as supply pump for this skimmer? I can no longer read the labeil on the larger utility pump I used tonight but it emptied 72 gal water in about 15 min. max. I wish I knew the GPH of this pump as I need a new return pump for this build.

Ok all moved inside and a few items to accumulate before the actuall build. I am ordering a Quiet One 2200 pump this weekend for the return. I have chosen to use flex tubing instead of ridgid for most of the plumming except of course a couple valves and fittings and clamps. I will need down the road a good 300 watt plus T 5 half and half fixture.

I have a refugium that at a later date I may install that is fitted with 1/2 inch bulk heads. Depending on how stable this will all end up I may use it as a hospital tank if it is big enoeph. I think it is about 3-5 gal.

Ok all moved inside and a few items to accumulate before the actuall build. I am ordering a Quiet One 2200 pump this weekend for the return. I have chosen to use flex tubing instead of ridgid for most of the plumming except of course a couple valves and fittings and clamps. I will need down the road a good 300 watt plus T 5 half and half fixture.

I have a refugium that at a later date I may install that is fitted with 1/2 inch bulk heads. Depending on how stable this will all end up I may use it as a hospital tank if it is big enoeph. I think it is about 3-5 gal.

Cool! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I would say a minimum size for a hospital tank would be 10 gallons. :(

Back
Top Bottom