Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
i think ive decided for this to be an invert based tank, sure fish are nice but i almost am thinking of them as a bonus to the corals and inverts. i want a variety of shrimp, maybe 2 urchins, a bunch of scarlet hermits, bunch of snails, a lobster, a brittle and/or serpent star, and more. new look at things. still want some nice fish too tho. flame angle, maybe 2 clowns, 3 chromises, midas blenny, flame hawk, an undecided sifting goby, and maybe a few others.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCkEyGmC View Post
http://www.geocities.com/capecanaver...ndy.htmltheres a link to the filtration system that my uncles buddies have used with amazing results apparently. it only calls for a hob though. i think i might add a hob skimmer with the hob filter. thoughts, suggestions, links(skimmers)?
any feedback on the filtration?
EDIT: sorry, realized the link didnt work, try this 1: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaver...icleHandy.html

Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Besides the fact that article is quite old, there is nothing new or special about it. It's only a deep sand bed with a plenum. I have never used or set 1 up and I've read mixed results with that setup.
I sort of had a little laugh with these statements from the article.
Quote:
You will need good lighting for about 12 hours a day to grow most common aquarium corals...
One of my favorites is Two Triton and two Blue Moon Reef 40 watt flourescent lights used with a real mirrored reflector...
This lighting is adequate for all corals kept in a HANDY Reef since it is not so deep.
4x40w=160w of normal output fluorescent enough for all corals? Not by a long shot.
Quote:
Don't over do it on the phosphate remover or the growth of everything slows down - especially leather mushroom corals which may even die from over use of phosphate removers. It's best not to use the phosphate remover more than 1-2 days at a stretch. It can be removed then reused again right after rinsing it very well again, but only if it hasn't turned beige/tan indicating exhaustion.
I use GFO (phosphate remover) 24/7. I don't think things are growing slower in my tank. I have no idea what phosphate remover can be recharged at all, let alone just by rinsing it off.
Quote:
Aragonite slowly dissolves to naturally keep the water's alkalinity, pH, calcium content and some trace elements at proper levels on its own - this saves a lot of time and money!
I normally don't need to add calcium supplements when using CaribSea aragonite sand. Although the aragonite sand adds some trace elements I start adding trace elements at quarter doses not long after the tank is cycled and the lights are tuned on.
I can't believe this is even in that article. Aragonite DOES NOT dissolve unless the pH is around 7.4 or lower. If your tanks pH is 7.4 you have major problems and I wouldn't expect to see much alive in it.
Quote:
VisiJet protein skimmers are another favorite. The new SeaClone also from Aquarium Systems is a nice higher powered HOB model.
UUGGGHHHHHHHH
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i know i know, its old. my uncle still insists that its the best thing around though. even if its outdated im still tryn it. ill be sure to tell every1 my results after the "experiment".
Old 12-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

project has been delayed until after the holidays =[ the tanks final position interferes with the "only spot for the tree". so we still might do a little with it but it'll be just some more cleaning and re sealing, none of the actual fun stuff =[.

Tags
55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com