New Kaudern's Cardinals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look awesome, and nice tank Sharpie, looks very clean! :D Sorry to hear about your losses; hopefully the weather will be more cooperative. Out of curiosity, what type of macroalgae do you have?

It's such a coincidence, I have the same fish as you, except one of each .. and I also got my banggai recently. Was gonna make a new thread but thought I'd stick it in here (hope you don't mind).

18878294560745897825485.jpg

I agree about taking photos .. I find it difficult no matter which type of fish. Have a video but it's kinda blurry.

Banggai Cardinal

Take care, atte

Thanks Atte and Aquarium1!

Always good to get feedback from other aquarists (especially from people with the same types of fish!!)

You are more than welcome to post your Cardinals here!

I'm not 100% sure what macro algae it is - I just asked for "macro algae" at my LFS - But it looks a lot like Chaetomorpha Algae.

What camera and video camera are you using? Video looks great!!

Over the past 5 days since having the Cardinals, I was struggling to get them to eat (which apparently is quite common).

I am unable to get live brine, except on weekends.

I fed the tank frozen brine on Monday, and everyone ate except the Cardinals. Tuesday I fed the tank some marine pellets, and they didn't want a bar of it. Wednesday I fed the frozen brine shrimp again, and they seemed a little interested, picked at a couple, but only ate one or two each.
After doing quite a bit more reading on these guys, I decided to do a night feed of frozen brine after the other more agressive feeders were asleep. BOY did they come out of their shells! ZOOMING around the tank gobbling it up!

I will try another group feed tommorrow afternoon, and see if they don't eat. If they refuse, I will give the tank a day off from feeding, and see if I can force them to eat with everyone else in the tank. But if I start to get worried about them not eating, I can always give them a midnight snack!

Question -
Does anyone know if it is bad to try and make the Cardinal a day feeder?
If they are more active at night, they may need more energy then, as they tend to just hover during the day.

Might be a loaded question but a) did you see them eating at the lfs? and b) were they eating in QT?

Might be a loaded question but a) did you see them eating at the lfs? and b) were they eating in QT?

My LFS is owned by my friend's dad.

a) Yes, they ate live brine in front of me (during broad daylight)

b) They had them in a QT for 4 weeks before he gave them to me (bare bottom 40G tank with a few PVC pipes), they were feeding them on live brine, mysis, and small blood worms but hadn't got them on any prepared foods yet.

I'm not too worried now as they have just had a large feast :)

Update -
They are all eating well. (Frozen enriched brine).

Starved them for a day, and tried feeding them the pellets - they charged at them, graped a few and spat them out :(

Ahh well, they are really aggressively eating the frozen brine.

Tried blood worms too - all tankmates ignored these, but the hermits loved them!

Back
Top Bottom