Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Littlest Pleco

We needed a pleco in our 55 gallon tank, and since I knew my clown would soon outgrow the 12 gallon tank he was housed in, we decided to move him and find a small pleco for the Eclipse. I decided on a pitbull pleco, since they get no bigger than 2 inches. Trouble was, nobody had one.

Well, this past weekend, we found our pitbull! He was in a tank of blue phantom plecos who were much larger than he was. An employee at the store remembered that we had asked about one last month, and when he saw us there on Saturday asked if we still wanted one. Turns out they had him all along, but he was so small he had been overlooked. He had seen him a few days prior when doing a water change.

I thought I was simply trading one hiding pleco for another, since the employee had to overturn every piece of driftwood in the tank to find this little guy again. But when we let him out of the bag, he immediately latched on to the glass. He hasn't hidden since!

Here's a picture--he's so tiny!

Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice plec, I've never heard of that before. Perhaps I'll try to find one when I have to set up my 10gal college tank next year.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh he's adorable! And I'm jealous. I picked one up for what used to be the death tank and yep, it was still the death tank at that point. I've yet to see another in this area (they're called bulldog or rubbernose plecs here).

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
He is sooo cute! I have a rubber-lipped pleco, which gets an inch or two bigger than the rubbernose pleco.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:44 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The pitbull/bulldog/rubbernose (etc....etc...) pleco is actually of the genus Chaetostoma. The species are not well delineated at this point. They are among the smallest of the 'plecostomus'-type catfish, generally maxing out at about 3 inches. From what I can find, these catfish enjoy fast-moving, cool water but will adapt to tropical conditions without problems. As expected, they generally need some algae in their diets.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

According to PlanetCatfish, the pitbull is different than the bulldog/rubbernose. The pitbull pleco is parotocinclus jumbo (I guess that means Big Oto!). So technically, I guess he's in the same family as the oto, but to me he definitely looks more like a tiny pleco.

Here's the skinny from PlanetCatfish:

Bulldog Pleco

Pitbull Pleco
Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That great. I think all they cxarry around these parts is good ole common plecos and CAE's. Yikes what are they thinking?
Old 02-10-2004, 05:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

That pleco is adorable!! I have never seen a pitbull and I am having a hard time locating a rubberlip. I was looking for a small pleco for my 10 gal, but impatience got the best of me and I bought a butterfly loach instead.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

VERY cute fish!
Old 02-10-2004, 08:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
He looks so cool.
Got to get one for my 10.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com