Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would have left the filter in, too, at least for a while. Would hate to lose ALL the beneficial bacteria, even if it is probably mostly grungy.

If the water was really that bad hopefully the angel just needs some time in your awesome fresh water to get back to her old self. Time and clean water for now. If there's no improvement in a week or two I'd probably step in and figure out a course of action. But for the most part mine snap back on their own. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

And Mr Limpet beat me to it! :P

Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay so I took the CAEs in to the lfs and traded them for some credit. I wasn't happy with the way they were freaking out the angel fish. Also frankly they just weren't what I'm going for, style wise. I bought 10 Kuhli Loaches and 5 Glass Cats.

Someone here told me GCs are hard to keep alive so I stuck with 5 for now to see how it goes.

I also picked up a big bottle Prime just in case I have trouble with this tank and need it in an emergency. Fingers are crossed that it won't be needed. One of the wheels on the filter system wouldn't spin consistently so I took it apart and realized I had one of the filters jammed in the wrong place so that is now fixed.

The angel has this strange place on one side where if you look at just the right angle there is what looks like a large number 3 on him/her. So that fish's new name is #3 like the TV show The Prisoner.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zparticle
Okay so I took the CAEs in to the lfs and traded them for some credit. I wasn't happy with the way they were freaking out the angel fish. Also frankly they just weren't what I'm going for, style wise. I bought 10 Kuhli Loaches and 5 Glass Cats.

Someone here told me GCs are hard to keep alive so I stuff with 5 for now to see how it goes.

I also picked up a big bottle Prime just in case I have trouble with this tank and need it in an emergency. Fingers are crossed that it won't be needed. One of the wheels on the filter system would spin consistently so I took it apart and realized I had one of the filters jammed in the wrong place so that is now fixed.

The angel has this strange place on one side where if you look at just the right angle there is what looks like a large number 3 on him/her. So that fish's new name is #3 like the TV show The Prisoner.
Awesome! You have earned my respect! Great job saving those fish. Hat is off to you

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
Awesome! You have earned my respect! Great job saving those fish. Hat is off to you
Thank you sir. Now I just have to get the angel back into good health, get those pectoral fins grown back. The Tetras are already moving around more now that the CAEs are gone.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

IME the angels just need time I had some fin damage to 2 of my angels from a darned tiger barb, after removing barb, it took about 2-3 weeks and my angels were back to 100%. I don't know what it is with our society now, it seems we feel that we should be able to buy any pet we want, place them in some container, and they will be ok.....its a shame. Much respect for gratefully unloading this tank from an obviously unwilling owner.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zparticle

Thank you sir. Now I just have to get the angel back into good health, get those pectoral fins grown back. The Tetras are already moving around more now that the CAEs are gone.
Whatever the outcome, hopefully good, the fish are better off with you.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Having worked in the aquarium industry for about 10 years, I'm willing to bet the reason that the previous owner had all those Chinese algae eaters is because he or she thought that they would clean the tank for him or her. I'm willing to double down since the OP indicated the tank was filthy. I always hated selling any kind of catfish or these guys (which I think are actually cyprinids) to people who wanted a "scavenger." Most of the time, they failed to realize these guys don't eat scat and are not going to do for their tank what a pass with an algae magnet and a water change with a gravel vacuum will.

I think it was a good move trading in the Chinese algae eaters. in my experience, they tend to become more aggressive as they grow and often will graze on the sides of large slow-moving fish like the angelfish.

On a side note, at one pet shop I used to work for, we had a common plecostomus do this to a large (14") pacu and strip all of its scales off behind its gills. (I've never known a pleco to do this before or since to a fish that wasn't already pretty much dead.) It fungused over its entire body. We were able to save him with lots of meds and water changes.

The tank is looking good!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
I think it was a good move trading in the Chinese algae eaters. in my experience, they tend to become more aggressive as they grow and often will graze on the sides of large slow-moving fish like the angelfish.
Yep I'm very happy I made the decision to trade them in. They were pretty well out of control.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tested everything in the water today and all numbers are looking good except I see no nitrates, I suppose with a tank this size that is possible. Have to keep an eye on it.

Tags
75 gallon tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com