Used tank came with fish, have several questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seeing some odd behavior from the loaches today. It's freaking me out. I thought one was dead but he was just sun bathing I guess. Laying at the top of the water under the bubble created by the air stone. I went to grab him and he zoomed off. The others have been flying around like crazy since I added this homemade decoration.

View attachment 43533

I put in some real plants today and added 5 Honey Gouramis.

I tested the water and all stats seem to be very good.

The angels pectoral fins are growing back nicely and I've finally observed him eating. I got some friends for the bloodfin tetra, seems happier now.

Well one of the bloodfin tetras that came with the tank is dead. I just found him floating. He had been chewed on pretty well.

The khuli loaches are getting more brave by the day. The size differences amaze me. Some of them have at least doubled in size and others are still pretty small. I covered one half of the substrate in fine silica sand tonight since they are drilling into the gravel more and more I thought it would be good to give them something softer to do it in. If it works out I'll do the other side as well. Need to let the water settle and clear up first anyway.

The big Angel, #3, is finally getting along with the two new marble angels which is nice.

The honey gouramis are doing incredibly well, their color has really come out and with the exception of one they have grown a lot.

A woman came to the pitcher recently asked me if I would take them .. her fish tank apparently sold her a week before, but only just then trying to find a home for fish.

Mr. Z, I am so happy that you saved those fishies. It's amazing how people can treat their fish and think it's okay. Kudos to you for having such a big heart! (y)
I saw you said your loach was floating around the bubbles. He was probably playing. Sometimes my clown loaches (Botias) lay down on the bottom of the tank, like they are taking a nap. The first time I saw it, I was so concerned, but I read online that even big groups of them will all lie down together. Seems like odd behavior for a fish, but mine regularly do that.
Thank you for saving the fishies. I probably would have done the same thing, although it was a HUGH task.
I love watching for your posts . . . and even more now that you like to save those fishies!
You have a white flowering plant in your tank. Is that real or plastic? If it's real, I'd love to know the name of it! Whatever it is, it sure is pretty!
Where did you get your silica sand? What is it called, exactly? Did you buy it at an aquarium store or in bulk somewhere? I'm looking for it too.
:fish1::fish2:

Hi Ann,

The sand is commercial grade quickcrete landscaping sand, I got it at Lowes. Unfortunately they only had 100 pound bags so I have a life time supply, lol. It was only like $8.

The flower is fake but it does add a little flair to the tank. My loaches are doing fine although I don't see them a lot as they spend most of their time hiding.

Have a great day.:D

Hello Z,
One more question. Where did you get your stone cave looking piece of furniture in your tank? My clown loaches would love one of those! :fish2:
:) Ann

Yep I made it, unfortunately either the silicone or the slate had something in it that nearly killed my fish. It was fun to make though.

You have done a much better job with yours than I have with mine. I am planning to rescape mine in the next few weeks.. been soaking some huge driftwood for MONTHS now. I am so impatient!

Beautiful angel. Mine are not quite that big yet(and I just now saw the smaller one swimming below him!).

z your tank looks beautiful! good job giving these fish a great home with a responsible caretaker. lucky fish.

Hmm one of my honey gouramis just dropped dead. I couldn't see any signs of it being hurt or sick on the body. Very strange. :( Just tested the water to make sure everything is okay.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm

Hmm one of my honey gouramis just dropped dead. I couldn't see any signs of it being hurt or sick on the body. Very strange. :( Just tested the water to make sure everything is okay.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
sometimes it happens:( sry for your loss...

I appreciate all you have done. Great job! (y)

Sorry you lost one of the gouramis, but even though we do everything right sometimes you lose one. :(

If you lost several I would be concerned, but your test numbers look pretty good and the tank looks clean and well maintained. If you think the nitrate level may have been an issue, a partial water change should bring that down, although I really dont think it is at a dangerous level yet.

Good luck! :fish2:

Yep I actually did do a PWC last night after I found the dead fish just to make sure things were okay. It needed to be done anyway, also gave me a chance to do a little vacuuming of the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom