We got our dwarf/pygmy catfish today :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dwarf cories are fine in 10g tanks. I have kept C. Habrosus in 10g tank for years, on gravel. They are totally fine.

Glad you were able to find some! They are a rare local find and usually require special ordering. Adorable, yes? You coudl well be right about the species being mislabeled. Mislabeling cories is a pretty common issue, no matter the size. There are a ton of species that look very similar.

For an algae eater in a 10g tank, I personally have gone with a lone oto or an oto pair. Otos and dwarf cories tend to hang out together a lot, and i have never had it be a problem. I kept them this way for years, and never saw any difference in behavior from the otos in my other tanks. A trio is not as likely to get enough food in a 10g tank. I would only think about it if your tank is pretty well established. So, another option is the pitbull pleco. They are cute, and similar bioload to an oto. If you would prefer not to go against the normal advice of "only get otos in groups," that is fine too and I suggest a nerite snail or 2. Otos are pretty much all wild caught, and can be sensitive. They are a bit hit or miss.

I wouldn't use Melafix. It is 98% water, and can really mess up the labrynth organ on bettas if the oil stays in the water. I would save yourself some some and just keep the water clean.

I don't think dragon added her betta just yet. Are otos happy in pairs? I had a pair and they were not particularly happy. That might have just been my two.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah... Wasn't sure of a preventative. What's melafix? Is it safe? I hope I can find it at the pet store. Is it necessary?? Ehh...

He was so causal about the dead fish. Today it was "yup". Three days ago it was, well get it when we do the rounds. Okay....

::sigh::

And yes, they're very cute! Saw some at one of the lfs's.

Yeah... Wasn't sure of a preventative. What's melafix? Is it safe? I hope I can find it at the pet store. Is it necessary?? Ehh...

He was so causal about the dead fish. Today it was "yup". Three days ago it was, well get it when we do the rounds. Okay....

And yes, they're very cute! Saw some at one of the lfs's.

It's a natural antibiotic. It's not safe for bettas but it will be perfectly safe for your Corys. It's a useful first line of defense against bacterial infection. It's up to you if you want it.

Thanks for the pleco tips!

No betta is not with them. At least another week-two.

We did a 50% wc before getting the two new little guys since it had been three days since we got the first 5 fish.

These catfish must gulp too. And dang they're fast when they do!

They've had Pygmy catfish for a while off and on. We'd always look at the fish when going to the pet store way before we even thought about or got any.

I am semi concerned about the dead fish that were in the tank w them...

When we got the first 5, there was a dead fish. It was the day they got the Pygmy catfish. Today we got two more, 3 days later and another dead fish. This fish was tangled in some mossy/grassy looking stuff. So that may be why she or he was dead? The other fish he said was probably from stress of moving.

Eh. I just don't want these guys to be sick or get the betta sick. He's been through enough!!

Thanks Suomi! I'll call and ask if they have any. Actually I think they're still open. Not going out again today though.

I hated the casualness when I asked / mentioned the dead fish...

Didn't bother to say they were mislabeled. He didn't seem in a mood for chatting but the other day he was.

Thanks Suomi! I'll call and ask if they have any. Actually I think they're still open. Not going out again today though.

I hated the casualness when I asked / mentioned the dead fish...

Didn't bother to say they were mislabeled. He didn't seem in a mood for chatting but the other day he was.

You're most welcome :) it has a counterpart called Pimafix and together they are a good first step against infections. Both are natural but I would use them as a preventative.

So you'd need both or they're mixed together w the melafix?

Do you think it's likely our little guys have anything? :(. They're so cute and I love them and I don't want them to be sick.

So you'd need both or they're mixed together w the melafix?

Do you think it's likely our little guys have anything? :(. They're so cute and I love them and I don't want them to be sick.

That's up to you. They can be used separately if you'd so wish or together. Pimafix is better against fungus. In your situation I'd use both.

Also I've read some things that say to not use a full amount sometimes of medicine. How would I treat these tiny little guys with it? How long? If they did have anything would it infect the tank/filter??

Nothing negative about treating them with this stuff?

You think I should use it because of the dead fish right?

Two dead fish in three days in same tank ughh.

Also I've read some things that say to not use a full amount sometimes of medicine. How would I treat these tiny little guys with it? How long? If they did have anything would it infect the tank/filter??

One week. It doesn't sound like they're ill so I'd half the dose. For a 5 gallon you'd normally use 1/2 teaspoon but I'd use 1/4. Yep. Thats why. And your Corys won't be hurt by it. Melafix can interfere with the labyrinth organ in Bettas so I wouldn't use it on a betta.

:)

I know fish die and maybe they weren't sick but bleh. Was kinda not wanting to get them due to that but. We wanted them :)

They seem fine so far. :)

So after a fish dies even if not sick it can emit harmful bacteria and stuff?

:)

I know fish die and maybe they weren't sick but bleh. Was kinda not wanting to get them due to that but. We wanted them :)

They seem fine so far. :)

So after a fish dies even if not sick it can emit harmful bacteria and stuff?

Yes. The natural decomposition process involves bacteria and fungi that can infect your fish. That's how I lost a whole tank.

Oh lovely. Even more glad we didn't mix them in right away.

So like a betta, these fish must surface. But the medicine is ok for them? They don't have a labyrinth?

Oh lovely. Even more glad we didn't mix them in right away.

So like a betta, these fish must surface. But the medicine is ok for them? They don't have a labyrinth?

Your Corys don't have a labyrinth so they will be fine with both meds. For a betta only use Pimafix.

1/4 tsp for each medicine? for 7 days? that much daily? water changes every 2-3 days or?

I hope they don't have anything!

1/4 tsp for each medicine? for 7 days? that much daily? water changes every 2-3 days or?

I hope they don't have anything!

Yep. Water change after 7 days. And try to remove activated carbon. If they have anything this should knock it out

Back
Top Bottom