We got our dwarf/pygmy catfish today :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I definitely won't!

I'm not going to treat him unless I think he needs it. He's already been treated w salt twice due to some suspected fin rot.

Just rinse w really hot water for the tank? What about the filter? And the bit of sand in there?

Yep. Give everything a good rinse and everything is good.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

:)
After treating them how long till putting them in the 10g tank do you think?

Also my other half is a little skeptical of treating them and thinks they're fine but I think it's a good idea.

:)
After treating them how long till putting them in the 10g tank do you think?

Also my other half is a little skeptical of treating them and thinks they're fine but I think it's a good idea.

Depends on how they're doing. I'd wait a few days.

Ok :)

They seem fine now :). The dead fish bug me though. Like I said could happen whether or not you actually saw the dead fish in the tank though.

That's the risk you take with fish I guess. Or any pet. They could be sick :(

Ok :)

They seem fine now :). The dead fish bug me though. Like I said could happen whether or not you actually saw the dead fish in the tank though.

That's the risk you take with fish I guess. Or any pet. They could be sick :(

Yes that's a risk. That's why when getting any new fish you keep them separate and give them medicine in case they're harboring bacteria/parasites/fungi. You'll hear mixed reviews on how well Melafix/Pimafix works on treating full blown infections but as a preventative I've yet to find anything better. Though I always tell people if after a week the fish don't look better, go to a stronger medication. Are your Corys behaving normally? Happy to eat, schooling ect? Are there any that have their fins pressed close to their bodies or acting more sluggish than usual? Knowing the answers to these questions would help with dosing/deciding to move to a stronger antibiotic. However my gut tells me that I don't think they quite need that.

Personally, I'd skip the melafix / pimafix and just do extra water changes. Lots of clean fresh water is a better preventative in my experience. Melafix is great for some things, but useless for others, plus I think it reduces oxygen level. I avoid unless I'm using it for a specific purpose- for example it works wonders on mouth fungus (that isn't columnaris-related) that guppies are prone to get sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks to both of you :)

They are schooling and foraging fine, especially since we release the pinch of food underwater now so it sinks for them. The food seems a little big for their tiny mouths so it gets spit out some but everything from last night was gone this morning.

I gave them more this morning since I wasn't sure if they'd eaten much the last few days but. They're seeming to do fine. There's one I call loner fish who's off by himself sometimes but he's not acting weird.

Do they move so quickly, especially when on the side of the tank, it looks like they're shaking a tiny bit? I think that's normal.

They rest on the sand a lot sometimes but I think that's normal. Some of the fins look a little flatter but that's when they're resting and not swimming.

They seem fine...

I didn't actually buy anything yet since I haven't had a chance yet. Decisions decisions.

Thanks to both of you :)

They are schooling and foraging fine, especially since we release the pinch of food underwater now so it sinks for them. The food seems a little big for their tiny mouths so it gets spit out some but everything from last night was gone this morning.

I gave them more this morning since I wasn't sure if they'd eaten much the last few days but. They're seeming to do fine. There's one I call loner fish who's off by himself sometimes but he's not acting weird.

Do they move so quickly, especially when on the side of the tank, it looks like they're shaking a tiny bit? I think that's normal.

They rest on the sand a lot sometimes but I think that's normal. Some of the fins look a little flatter but that's when they're resting and not swimming.

They seem fine...

I didn't actually buy anything yet since I haven't had a chance yet. Decisions decisions.

Hmmm...I'd watch them carefully, especially the ones who have partially closed fins. A quick google search tells me that your little ones should have their fins fully open even when resting. Fin clamping is usually one of the first signs a fish isn't well. It's basically fish for "Mom, I don't feel so good" but that one might just be more tired than the others. Without a picture it's hard to say. But the others definitely sound healthy. Are there any shimmies (look like they're swimming in place)?

Yeah they do seem to get tired :p. the fins don't really looked clamped down, just they go down some. I'd try to get a picture but they're so tiny and it's hard to. Maybe w my real camera I could. W my iPod touch its crappy. But my camera well they go a little fast for it unless they're resting.

Right now three of them have fins down three don't and ones swimming.

Yes, that's what I was trying to describe. Shimmying. Is that bad? They only seem to do it when on the side of the tank tho. Against the glass.

Yeah they do seem to get tired :p. the fins don't really looked clamped down, just they go down some. I'd try to get a picture but they're so tiny and it's hard to. Maybe w my real camera I could. W my iPod touch its crappy. But my camera well they go a little fast for it unless they're resting.

Right now three of them have fins down three don't and ones swimming.

Yes, that's what I was trying to describe. Shimmying. Is that bad? They only seem to do it when on the side of the tank tho. Against the glass.

Yes! That's also bad. Your fish are sick! You need to make a decision on how to treat them.

Ohh crap. I thought that was what they did when against the glass. They seem fine otherwise. I don't think they all do it. Just a couple. :(. Grr. Would the stuff you already told me about do the trick do you think?

I already shared the ammonia tube I think but used it after testing the beta tank I think so that's good. They were in the pitchers we use for water changes and their aquarium water from store. But I rinsed those in the hottest water from the tap, and it does get pretty hot.

Also a little water from the tank we have them in got in the betta tank... :(. That was a day or two after we got the first 5.

We'll have to get stuff in the morning and hope they have it.

They only have a 3 day fish warranty I don't want to return them anyway but. You know. :/. I have a feeling if I told the guy there he'd say they're fine. Bleh. :(

We have both siphons and boxes from stuff we've bought in the box of the 10g. So it may have touched the other siphon. :/. Is that a worry? We have such little space ugh but obviously we need to keep the siphons separate.

And I think I said that when we scooped sand from 10g to 5, it went back and forth a few times from each tank. So ugh. I hope our betta isn't exposed.

Should we worry about putting our bare hands/arms in the tank?

I love these fish but. What a pain. Kinda wish we'd stuck to just the betta in a 5g. Oh well. We already have the catfish so no sense in saying that. :/

Ohh crap. I thought that was what they did when against the glass. They seem fine otherwise. I don't think they all do it. Just a couple. :(. Grr. Would the stuff you already told me about do the trick do you think?
Yes. Add aquarium salt as well as the medicines I told you about. If after a week they don't look better get a broad spectrum antibiotic.

How much salt? I read no salt w catfish :/. Is it ok?

What kind? I've read mixed things about fish antibiotics.

Are we at risk putting our skin/hands in the tank?

How much salt? I read no salt w catfish :/. Is it ok?

What kind? I've read mixed things about fish antibiotics.

Are we at risk putting our skin/hands in the tank?

No on the salt if that's what you researched. You will be safe with hands/arms just make sure you wash your hands. And if in a week you still have sick fish I would try tetracycline. Keep an eye on your betta but I don't think he will get sick. But definitely get the Melafix and Pimafix.

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm so irritated with the policy. 3 days and it's only if a fish dies.

What exactly is shimmying? I mean don't fish wiggle when they swim? They could be fine? I duno. This feels overwhelming now :(

I feel overwhelmed.

You still think I should get the quick start stuff since we should avoid changing water if possible?

I feel overwhelmed.

You still think I should get the quick start stuff since we should avoid changing water if possible?

Yes. You will need it since the meds will also kill off the good bacteria in the tank. I know this is scary but you've caught it early.

Ok.

Yeah it is early. I just hope this world and we don't need more Meds after a week. They may not even have any.

From the scooping thing how exposed do you think our betta is? :(

Back
Top Bottom