We got our dwarf/pygmy catfish today :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
don't do a water change at all during that time? :/

activated carbon? our filter has carbon in it. we have a Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter.

don't do a water change at all during that time? :/

activated carbon? our filter has carbon in it. we have a Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter.

Well then it seems you can't. And when medicating you need to let it build up

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's seems I can't what?

The tanks not cycled. I'm concerned about ammonia building up is all :(. That's what got our betta in trouble :(

It's seems I can't what?

The tanks not cycled. I'm concerned about ammonia building up is all :(. That's what got our betta in trouble :(

Do you have some Quick Start? It's a culture of cycling bacteria. And if your filter has carbon then you can't remove it.

I've heard mixed things about bacteria starters but it seems I have no choice if I want to treat them. I am nervous about no water changes for 7 days with these tiny little fish.

What about my filter? The cartridge, I mean?

Do you have any idea of a ballpark of what this all may cost? Spent $42 three days ago and $25 today with getting these guys already.

Would daily 70% water changes help this at all or is medicine really the way?

::sigh::

I've heard mixed things about bacteria starters but it seems I have no choice if I want to treat them. I am nervous about no water changes for 7 days with these tiny little fish.

What about my filter? The cartridge, I mean?

Do you have any idea of a ballpark of what this all may cost? Spent $42 three days ago and $25 today with getting these guys already.

Would daily 70% water changes help this at all or is medicine really the way?

I wouldn't do the water changes. Stress ruins their immune system. I'd use the meds. And ballpark about 45 for both. You could take out the cartridge but that might be too turbulent for little fishies.

Mmm. They seemed pretty calm when we did it today. Stayed on the sand lol. We were surprised
Edit to add: we have a fluval pre filter round sponge to block flow coming out filter. And there's one on the intake. Same w betta tank. So that helps w flow.

You recommend taking filter cartridge out? Why is that?

Mmm. They seemed pretty calm when we did it today. Stayed on the sand lol. We were surprised
Edit to add: we have a fluval pre filter round sponge to block flow coming out filter. And there's one on the intake. Same w betta tank. So that helps w flow.

You recommend taking filter cartridge out? Why is that?

The cartridge contains the carbon. Carbon deactivates the medicine.

Ah. That's a good reason ;)

Sorry for all the questions, clearly I have a lot to learn. :). Thanks for answering them all :)

Hopefully they're fine but I duno if I want to chance not treating them. Even if I hadn't seen the dead fish, I suppose any tank you ever buy fish from could have had a dead fish in it and you'd never know unless you saw. I'm pretty sure they check for and if found, and remove any dead fish daily. That probably helps doesn't it?

So the bacteria stuff you told me about will save them from any ammonia problems from not doing water changes for a week?

I don't want to loose them either way. And not just because of the $ I've spent. They're my little buddies and they're cute and we've wanted some for a while. Even though they probably won't have near the personality of our betta, I still love them and care about them. I hate for anything to die needlessly :(

Ah. That's a good reason ;)

Sorry for all the questions, clearly I have a lot to learn. :). Thanks for answering them all :)

Hopefully they're fine but I duno if I want to chance not treating them. Even if I hadn't seen the dead fish, I suppose any tank you ever buy fish from could have had a dead fish in it and you'd never know unless you saw. I'm pretty sure they check for and if found, and remove any dead fish daily. That probably helps doesn't it?

So the bacteria stuff you told me about will save them from any ammonia problems from not doing water changes for a week?

I don't want to loose them either way. And not just because of the $ I've spent. They're my little buddies and they're cute and we've wanted some for a while. Even though they probably won't have near the personality of our betta, I still love them and care about them. I hate for anything to die needlessly :(

I understand completely! My fishies are my children! And you're welcome. And yes the bacteria will be delighted to eat up all that ammonia and nitrite and nitrate! And I promise this is the best way to keep your fish healthy.

:) Thank you!

After this you think they should be ok? :)

The bottles should say how to use them (the bacteria stuff)? Would it be a good idea to do a large water change first before starting to treat them or not really necessary?

http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/6/698220612211C.jpg

Also that is what I have been feeding them, it's all they had when we bought the fish. Actually that was theirs they were using to feed them so I hope they had another one. I think they are able to eat it, but seems like they spit it out sometimes. I think I may get another one recommended in the thread I made earlier about what to feed them, but I had to get something in the meantime. I definitely saw at least one of them eating some of the micro pellets. I'm concerned if they are getting enough to eat. The food was floating way too much on the top of the water so we decided to put our fingers under the water a bit with the pinch and released it under water and it sunk fast so that's good :D Will the fish medicine be bad for human skin or anything do you know?

:) Thank you!

After this you think they should be ok? :)

The bottles should say how to use them (the bacteria stuff)? Would it be a good idea to do a large water change first before starting to treat them or not really necessary?

http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/6/698220612211C.jpg

Also that is what I have been feeding them, it's all they had when we bought the fish. Actually that was theirs they were using to feed them so I hope they had another one. I think they are able to eat it, but seems like they spit it out sometimes. I think I may get another one recommended in the thread I made earlier about what to feed them, but I had to get something in the meantime. I definitely saw at least one of them eating some of the micro pellets. I'm concerned if they are getting enough to eat. The food was floating way too much on the top of the water so we decided to put our fingers under the water a bit with the pinch and released it under water and it sunk fast so that's good :D Will the fish medicine be bad for human skin or anything do you know?

Nope. No water change and the medicine won't hurt you. And the bacteria bottles will tell you how to properly culture your tank.

Keep testing water. You may need to do a water change if Ammonia or other readings climb.

Also you want Meat based foods for Cories. They can eat veggies, but meat based is necessary IMHO and if you read breeding articles on planet catfish they always feed live or frozen food. Usually black worms or shrimp or other tiny worms.

Mine love frozen baby brine shrimp.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will definitely test the water still :) you mean during the treatment right?

It says veggie on it, but the third ingredient is salmon, then halibut, whole herring, cod, shrimp. Then the wheat flour (ugh) wheat gluten (ugh), then the vitamins and stuff. The first two ingredients are whole kelp and spirulina. I definitely think I should get something else to feed them along with this, though. I made a post about it before I got them, I need to go back and read it and hope I can find something at an lfs, but, I may be stuck ordering online :( They didnt' seem to have it at the lfs. This was the only thing he had that he said they could eat. I think frozen foods are a bit hard to come by, although I haven't actually asked at the lfs. Petco is a bit far but they have frozen food for fish. Not a bad distance, but, not as close at my two lfs's either.

Is there much of a risk of parasites with frozen food? I'd be a little apprehensive about giving them live food due to the possibility of parasites.

Another question: After using the Melafix and stuff, would this tank and filter be usable for a betta fish? Or would using that stuff make the tank not usable for one?

I will definitely test the water still :) you mean during the treatment right?

It says veggie on it, but the third ingredient is salmon, then halibut, whole herring, cod, shrimp. Then the wheat flour (ugh) wheat gluten (ugh), then the vitamins and stuff. The first two ingredients are whole kelp and spirulina. I definitely think I should get something else to feed them along with this, though. I made a post about it before I got them, I need to go back and read it and hope I can find something at an lfs, but, I may be stuck ordering online :( They didnt' seem to have it at the lfs. This was the only thing he had that he said they could eat. I think frozen foods are a bit hard to come by, although I haven't actually asked at the lfs. Petco is a bit far but they have frozen food for fish. Not a bad distance, but, not as close at my two lfs's either.

Is there much of a risk of parasites with frozen food? I'd be a little apprehensive about giving them live food due to the possibility of parasites.

Another question: After using the Melafix and stuff, would this tank and filter be usable for a betta fish? Or would using that stuff make the tank not usable for one?

Do NOT use Melafix with a Betta. It'll mess with his breathing. If necessary get him Bettafix which is the same but less concentrated and safe. Pimafix is fine for bettas. And wash the 5 gallon after the Corys are done and it will be fine.

I definitely won't!

I'm not going to treat him unless I think he needs it. He's already been treated w salt twice due to some suspected fin rot.

Just rinse w really hot water for the tank? What about the filter? And the bit of sand in there?

Back
Top Bottom