What kind of fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah it's a tiger oscar - and well colored too.

You could put the arowana in the 125g and leave the Oscar in the 75g

that sounds like the best way to go. if the oscar doesn't get eaten in the next few weeks it will grow very fast. it's only a matter of time before he wants the tank all for himself.

i once had a 10" silver arowana and 5" tiger oscar in a 75gal. the arowana was always covered in cuts from jumping into the lid trying to ecape from the oscar. i was worried that the lights would get broken so i re-homed the arowana. he was not suited to a 75 gal tank anyway. but that's just my experience, it may work out ok for other people

I have to ask...

Picked up this little guy at the store and was wondering if you could help me out and let me know what it is.

Having bred and raised over 100,000+ oscars, I can say without fear of contradiction that this is a baby oscar. That being said, I have to ask... How could you buy a fish for your tank that you don't even know what it is? There is no upside to doing this and the downsides (multiple) could be disasterous! This sounds like a failure of both the hobbyist and the store you purchased the fish from.
#1 Arawanas eat small fish. If this fish was small enough to fit in the Aro's mouth, he should never have been purchased for the same tank.
#2 Oscars can grow quite large (my largest was 22") and become very territorial as they get bigger.
#3 While I disagree with the poster who said that Oscars are the meanest of the cichlids, I agree with the poster about their cleanliness. They're not at all clean. Not a good combination for an Arowana.

People: do a little research before adding any fish you know nothing about before you buy it. If it means making a second trip to the store, that's better than killing a new fish or throwing your existing tank out of whack. There is very little out there that is not available on a regular basis. If you miss this one, you'll get another chance another time.
(This is timeless advice from a very experienced tropical fish hobbyist! )

That's no tiger Oscar. But I'm not sure what it is. But it not from the cichlid family that the oscars from..

My new fish just became a lunch time snack for my arrowana today it's sad to lose him but cool to see the arrowana eat.

All the more reason to do the research first. Poor little guy. He was a very handsome fish that certainly didn't deserve that ending.

Oh, well mistakes are made. Don't worry I won't attack your personal decisions like others on this site. Good luck on the 125, I just got one myself. You can never judge what Amy fish will do IMO. All you cam do is try.

Sorry you lost your new oscar. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

This thread has run its course. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom