13 Gallon LED widescreen FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raccioppi83

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to turn this tank into a FOWLR aquarium? I have years of experience with fresh water tanks but want to see what saltwater would be like.

Opinions?
What would I need?

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Totally possible.

What's the dimensions? You want a tank a bit wider than in FW because you have live rock.

Caleb

Not too bad. I have a standard 10g nano reef myself. The key to nano tanks is not skipping water changes. They are less forgiving because there's not as much water.

Your main thing will be rock work that fits the tank.

Take a look at smaller goby species like clown, blue neon, rainfords, or just a smaller clownfish like an ocellaris/variant.

Caleb

Okay! I'll have to look into it.

I already have the tank, heater, filter, hood (LED lighting in hood)

What more do I need to begin this tank? (aside from the LR and substrate)

You are looking at right around a 14-14.5 gallon tank. Just if you needed that info

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh, well the link in the post I put earlier says it is a 13 gallon. The more the merrier though!

Okay! I'll have to look into it.

I already have the tank, heater, filter, hood (LED lighting in hood)

What more do I need to begin this tank? (aside from the LR and substrate)

You don't want a hood on saltwater tanks. I have seen guards put over T5 fixtures though. Also make sure your heater is FULLY submersible. The reasoning for this is a simple thing called salt creep. As water evaporates from the tank the salt is left behind to fall on whatever is below it. This means it could get into your heater or lighting unit and cause damage.

Water movement is very important in SW as well. So a powerhead to keep the water flowing will be good. Stagnant water is a powerhouse for algae.

Caleb

Okay so with no hood, I would have to buy an external light?

Okay so with no hood, I would have to buy an external light?

I would start a build thread :) I am still sorta new to saltwater and there is tons of guys on here with many more years than me.

Caleb

A FOWLR system would be doable, but keep in mind that much research would be necessary to find fish that would go into such a tank. This goes for any project, but the smaller the tank is the much more limited on options it becomes.

cool. I'll look into it! So no hood, power head... anything else I need?

Back
Top Bottom