55Gal predator tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I looked at them but I think I like the valentine puffer more :) I built the stand and it cost me 20$ :) I like it!

Awesome :) I'm so excited to start this tank :) I'm buying the lumber and building the stand today :) I totally stole your stands designs haha. So we'll see how mine turns out :) wish me luck! I'll post pics when it's done :)

1:8 smiley/word ratio. I think that's a record, lol. :). Anyway good luck and keep us updated bro.

Haha im a little excited :p I'll post a pic of it later. I still gotta get the 29 gallon out and the 55 in and on the stand. :p

Yeah, don't worry I'm just playin'.
I remember how excited I was when my mum surprised me with my 75gal. I thought I was going to pass out from the stocking possibilities.

Haha :) I'm just excited to finally have a lion and puffer :)

I had my heart seon a lion not long ago, but now I've got a much more interesting stock in my opinion. Since I'll be upgrading from a 75gal to a 220 gal in the future, I've come up with a pretty sweet stock list IMO, thanks to my fellow AAdvice users :thanks:

1 harlequin tusk
1 foxface
1 bicolor goatfish
1 either lunare wrasse or emperor angel; can you please tell me which you would choose?
And(Drumroll)........................ ZEBRA MORAY!!:D

I'd go wrasse. More active IMO. And very nice. That seems very under stocked but simple :) yeah, lionfish was the first fish I said "I want that!"

I'd go wrasse. More active IMO. And very nice. That seems very under stocked but simple :) yeah, lionfish was the first fish I said "I want that!"

I agree it is understocked, but because I am using the 75 as a grow out, I'm trying to keep it as low as I can. When I do get the 220 then I will most likely add more fish; I was thinking 2 coral catsharks as the big attraction. Small for a shark, big for a fish. you should look them up, very nice fish they are

Thanks for helping me chose; Wrasse it is!:D

Can't wait to see your tank and upload pic's of mine. Good luck(y)

Thanks :) I should be moving around ranks today :) getting everything in the right spot.

Haha I might rethink what puffer :) I'll probably just have my gf pick one. She's the one who has been begging me to get a puffer for who knows how long. :)

So I finally got the stand in my room and got the 29 gallon tank and stand out. Then I cleaned the 55 and got it on the stand :)

only problem im having is eels are escape artists so before I get him I'm gonna need to find a way to cover the tank better :/

Right now I have a pieces of acrylic that almost fits over the tank but leaves like a 2" gap on either of the sides. Fits perfectly front to back though. :)

Let me know what ya think ;)

Attachments

• image-1402960655.jpg
    image-1402960655.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 144
Man is that a great looking stand!!!! Lol geez, for me just sending you picks you did an amazing job recreating it! What height did you go with?

Thanks :) yeah, I used to do stuff like that for drama tech in school. I wanna be an architect :) it's 36" tall.

As for sand and rock. Base rock becomes live rock when it goes through the cycle right? Or do I need to add some live rock to seed the base rock? Also sand, should I do a regular sand or maybe a black sand? Does it have to be fine sand or does it matter?

Color will depend on your preference but I'd go with black. The size of the substrate will depend on livestock and then your preference. The base rock will become live ove time but I would reccomend seeding with atleast 10% live rock for the beneficial hitch hikers.

How does the black sand effect the look?

And my stock list is snowflake eel, blood red hawkfish, Fu machu lionfish, and popuan Toby puffer. Does it have to be fine? Or does it matter?

And I'll seed with some stuff from my 90 gallon then :)

Mr pillow has a 40 gallon breeder predator tank on black sand if you wanna check it out. Looks ok but not for me. I'm not 100% sure on grain size but I would think finer the better with the lion and eel.

Which substrate did you have in mind? I have a really fine sand in the predator tank, which are great for my two Wrasses. Though I wish I would have went with the Fiji Pink, not as fine, but would have worked, and not as easy to kick up. In my community tank I have Tahitian Moon Sand( black). It's definitely an interesting substrate. I have mixed feelings about it. I like the whole being different factor, but I I only had one tank I would go with a white sand. It gives the tank a less tropical look.

image-659011852.jpg

Maybe when I paint the background black it will mesh the tank better.

image-3615320309.jpg

??????

Attachments

• image-1822409399.jpg
    image-1822409399.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 131
  • image-2953435502.jpg
    image-2953435502.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 128
  • image-824342053.jpg
    image-824342053.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 137