Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Foxface

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1610 View Post
you can feed the puffer prawns or shrimp whatever you know it as, with the shell still on as a cheaper alternative. Honestly with a snowflake eel you can't have much of a CUC, unless you are willing to replace the hawk with a sand sifting goby like a gold head sleeper goby. On my 75gal I'm going to introduce a bi colour goatfish as my CUC. Pretty sure you can put one in a 55 but I'm not really 100% sure since they grow to a big size of 10"; BTW Joe, I took your advice and introduced a foxface to my 75. You were right, they are amazing!
I also just love how they change colours at night

Not having a quarantine tank is like playing Russian Roulette, nobody wins, you can only see who plays the longest... Unfortunately, I don't have the time, money or patience for a quarantine tank so... That sucks
chris1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha good yeah as CUC go's I was gonna do a long spined urchin and try some big turbo snails. would a sea hare work? Or a starfish?

Where could I get shrimp with shells still on them?

How many small nassarious snails would I have to feed my puffer to keep his teeth ground down? Will he find them and eat them if I just leave them in the tank? Or do I really need to feed them to him?

This will be my first aggressive tank so I'll have lots of how much of what to feed later on

Old 11-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khij159753 View Post
Haha good yeah as CUC go's I was gonna do a long spined urchin and try some big turbo snails. would a sea hare work? Or a starfish?

Where could I get shrimp with shells still on them?

How many small nassarious snails would I have to feed my puffer to keep his teeth ground down? Will he find them and eat them if I just leave them in the tank? Or do I really need to feed them to him?

This will be my first aggressive tank so I'll have lots of how much of what to feed later on
that CUC seems adequate, but remember there is always a risk with a snowflake eel.

You can go to a fish market and they should sell shrimp with shells still on them.

I'm not really familiar with how much snails to feed the puffer, sorry.

If you chose to feed prawns with the shell still on, be sure to remove the head.IMO I would feed as much as he would eat within around 2min twice a day. If it seems he is gaining a lot of weight on that cut it down, if he is becoming quite thin, feed more. It's just one of those things that vary from fish to fish.
Not having a quarantine tank is like playing Russian Roulette, nobody wins, you can only see who plays the longest... Unfortunately, I don't have the time, money or patience for a quarantine tank so... That sucks
chris1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay. Why cut off the head? And how much are the shelled shrimp?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

For the valentini I would do clams in the half shell. Your LFS should sell them,or you can get them at a grocery store. Prawns and shrimps don't do much for filing down there beaks. Don't worry about the feeding part. I will send you a pm, with my 7 day a week feeding routine. ex. My Monday would be, keep in mind this is not to the exact fish you will have but to what I have: Monday: LIVE ghost/ saltwater shrimp( depends on availability), clams, Krill, and silvers. Tuesday: live feeder fish, flake, brine, etc. Wednesday: etc. so you get my drift. I know you wanted the whole LIVE food experience. And that is t my actual routine, just an example off the too of my head.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay awesome. Thanks! I was thinking about snails for filing down their teeth. But grocery stores sell clams in half shells? I'll check my lfs next time I go in. How do I feed puffers clams in half shells?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just drop them in, and the puffer will start to pick at it.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome I'm so excited to start this tank I'm buying the lumber and building the stand today I totally stole your stands designs haha. So we'll see how mine turns out wish me luck! I'll post pics when it's done
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

You ever think or heard about these puffers? In lighting there spots are amazing!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3342532303.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	130339
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-946658266.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	130338  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Both are rated for your size tank. Just wanted to throw them out there.

Tags
55 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com