Adding a Large Damsel to Established Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelstar0204

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone!

I recently bought an established 110 gallon FOWLR tank (6 months old). It currently has a snowflake eel, a yellow tang (approx. 2 1/2"-3") and a stars and stripes puffer (approx. 2 1/2"-3"), which came with the tank. I also have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank that has several fish in it, including a damsel that is probably about 4" (perhaps slightly larger).

I am debating whether or not I should move my large damsel into the new tank because I am concerned about the amount of fish in the 55 gallon...plus, there is so much more space in the 110 gallon. I'm concerned that the puffer or the tang might be picked on by the damsel. Currently, the large damsel seems to be the one that gets picked on most often by smaller fish, but I'm not sure if this will be the case once it is in a new environment.

I guess my question is, because of the smaller size of the puffer and the tang, do you think the damsel will hurt either of them? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

This is a real possibility. Damsels are aggressive fish. The larger space may help lower aggression, but it won't change the fish. I usually tell people to stay away from damsels due to this.

Back
Top Bottom