Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
Didn't read the whole thread. What are you using for testing water chemistry? That seemed like a fairly quick cycle. 2.5 -3 wks. I'm not an expert. But something seems off with your parameters even though there reading fine.
Supra
Two separate API test kits.

I cycled with 50 pounds of reefrocks, 20 pounds of dead rock, and 20 pounds of live rock from Premium aquatics. Cycled using Ace hardware ammonia. Had nitrate and nitrite spikes. Believe me when I say it's cycled. I've cycled two freshwater tanks prior to this.

Before I sold my freshwater tank last week I tested this tank with two separate API test kits with identical results.

I'm doing 20% PWCs every other weekend. I'm using RODI water with Novaqua+ added prior to adding to the tank. When doing PWC I mix, circulate, and heat saltwater in a brute can.

Sorry I didn't include Ph. I tested Ph with API and my Vernier Ph probe. Both read 8-8.2.

Temp between 77.5-78.2

To acclimate I float bags for 15 minutes, transfer to an acclimate only bucket and drip acclimate for 1 hour minimum.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another thing you can do is put deposits on fish as they come in and have the lfs hold them for a couple of weeks.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #73
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would recommend that you move slower. What I would susspect is that your BB is having issues keeping up with the new stocking. This would have called a mini cycle, which would have caused the fish deaths, and you would never have noticed. I had a similar issue and that is what I came to the conclusion of what my issue was as my parameters were fine like yours. Best advice ever is that when you have issues is to slow down and don't do anything until there is a resolution. Your pocketbook, and your wife, will thank you.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I would recommend that you move slower. What I would susspect is that your BB is having issues keeping up with the new stocking. This would have called a mini cycle, which would have caused the fish deaths, and you would never have noticed. I had a similar issue and that is what I came to the conclusion of what my issue was as my parameters were fine like yours. Best advice ever is that when you have issues is to slow down and don't do anything until there is a resolution. Your pocketbook, and your wife, will thank you.

thanks, good advice

I will invest in a little bigger QT I think at the next dollar per gallon sale and QT the recommended time prior to adding to DT. That will give me more time to bring up the SG. Or do you think a 10G is big enough? I plan to eventually get another coral beauty or kole tang. I don't think they'd like being in a 10G for weeks would they? I'm thinking of getting a 20L at least for QTing larger fish.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #75
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

As of right now, I do not have a QT. I know I need it, but I only had room for an old 5 gal octo tank I had in college. I just upgraded and working on fillin up a 55 gal. Once it is cycled and set up, my 36 bowfront will be my QT once I seal the small leak in it. I know the tang wouldn't be able to put up with a 10g QT, but the coral beauty should be fine. A 20 gal QT seems to be the norm for people that have lots of room, so that sounds like the best plan of action.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Freak

Really thinking of downsizing to a nice 40 breeder instead of buying new 75 and stand.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadubber
Really thinking of downsizing to a nice 40 breeder instead of buying new 75 and stand.
I have a friend selling a stand, drilled 40b tank, with custom halide led lighting, and canopy for 200obo.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Freak

retiring this tank. Picked up a 40 breeder tonight to move this tank contents to. Finally won't have a scratched up tank!

Tags
2 gallon, 72 gallon, 72 gallon bowfront, bowfront, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com