Algae and Brown powderish Algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMHuestis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This morning there was just some green algae that has been there for a few days (Ive been planning on getting a blenny & CUC to help regulate the problem) but after i came home from work brown spots are all over the sand and on the top of the LR...

My tank has been running 3 weeks
2 Ocell. Clown have been in there 5 days
22lbs of LR
35 Gallon tank

Salt:1.021-
Temp: 75F-
pH:8.4 (previously 8.1)
Trates: 20 ppm
Trites: 0ppm
Amm: less than 10 ppm

Fish look fine- but havnt fed them yet today, im switching to once a day feeding

I got the fish sunday and have done no water changes yet.. i was planning on doing a 15% WC once a week (on sunday).

Is this normal? if not- what steps do i need to take?

2 more things:

-My Tank is right by a window-- I know a big "no no".. I'm thinking of solutions for that right now. is it actual sun light that is bad or the amount of light?

-There is also some red algae.

first do a large pwc to get amm to zero,this is a killer for fish.you say tank has been running for 3 weeks, how long did it cycle for and how?
the brown spots are diatoms and are normal for a new tank,they will get worse but then will burn themselves out.Just concentrate on getting the amm to 0.
yes 15% weekly would be good.

Just from personal experience, in the mean time if youd like, buy a few Otos. They absolutely love the brown-ish algae and Ive always heard they were one of the best for getting rid of it. We had a bad outbreak all of a sudden not long ago and its been gone ever since.
As far as the ammonia, big PWC can help. We also had an ammonia problem and we bought this ammonia gravel bag to put in the tank (I wish I knew the name of it) but it takes the ammonia out of the tank and keeps it under control.

Just from personal experience, in the mean time if youd like, buy a few Otos. They absolutely love the brown-ish algae and Ive always heard they were one of the best for getting rid of it. We had a bad outbreak all of a sudden not long ago and its been gone ever since.
As far as the ammonia, big PWC can help. We also had an ammonia problem and we bought this ammonia gravel bag to put in the tank (I wish I knew the name of it) but it takes the ammonia out of the tank and keeps it under control.
You shouldn't need to add anything to keep your amm down except good quality water/maintenance and not over feeding your tank.

Back
Top Bottom