Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Algea growing rapidly

OB posted bout the algae once before but I didn't get much help from it my fowlr tank keeps growing algae and its like rust colored and I can't get it to go away iv done water changes iv turned off the light for days at a time but when ever I turn it back on it grows back in a couple hours it's terrible it's all over my live rock and everything I really need help fast

Old 08-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi there

It sounds like you have cyanobacteria It's usually caused by dead spots in the tank and High Nutrients try increasing your Circulation so there's no dead spots in a tank and keep siphoning it off and cut down on your feeding you could also add some Caulerpa To help compete with it and hopefully it will be gone within a couple of weeks it is very common Good luck

Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLARBEAR0871 View Post
OB posted bout the algae once before but I didn't get much help from it my fowlr tank keeps growing algae and its like rust colored and I can't get it to go away iv done water changes iv turned off the light for days at a time but when ever I turn it back on it grows back in a couple hours it's terrible it's all over my live rock and everything I really need help fast
You need to find where the problem is coming from doing water changes taking off the lights won't help if you don't know where it's coming from. Run a full test see what you find also what are you dosing the tank how high is your lights from the water line are you using rodi ?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

No I'm not using rodi water do I need to
Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi there again
RO users get this as well but if you're not using it it could be contributing to it and you're probably regret telling us that
Try What' I said first Good luck
Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr tap water View Post
Hi there again
RO users get this as well but if you're not using it it could be contributing to it and you're probably regret telling us that
Try What' I said first Good luck
If you are using rodi and you have a problem like this then you are adding something to the tank that's causing the problem.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

No I don't even know hat rodi is I use water from my faucets at home but OB also had freshwater tanks with sand and the same thing happens there is it something in the tank
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLARBEAR0871 View Post
No I don't even know hat rodi is I use water from my faucets at home but OB also had freshwater tanks with sand and the same thing happens there is it something in the tank
It's the tap water that's your problem you need a rodi unit go to brs and look it up.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post

It's the tap water that's your problem you need a rodi unit go to brs and look it up.
I always thought a forum was to give your opinion and try to help where possible but it looks like there's a few out there That want to slate other peoples opinions and then only guess The problem them selves i guess I'll just have to not get sucked in by these narrow minded people
Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr tap water View Post

I always thought a forum was to give your opinion and try to help where possible but it looks like there's a few out there That want to slate other peoples opinions and then only guess The problem them selves i guess I'll just have to not get sucked in by these narrow minded people
Look up info on using fresh water in reef tanks then do the same with rodi. I have read about a few people that use tap but they end up with algae problems. In my first setup I used aged fw but I only did that to make water to start my cycle till my rodi unit came in.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com