Algea growing rapidly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then check local fish stores.

Also, can you post a pic of the algae? You say rust color. Could be diatoms.

Nutrients can come from overfeeding or your source water. Something that you are adding to the tank and/or not removing is feeding any nuisance algae.

Well idk cuz when I cut the light it goes away but as soon as I turn it on it starts to grow again

What lights are you using? I use Ai mix with ATI t5's and I keep my lights 12" off the water line. Your lights may be to strong

They're just standard blue lights I bought originally for freshwater but I was told they'd be fine for the tank

. Lights on to long, to much food going into tank, or not using ro water. I would say you are just cycling since you just bought the tank.

Weeks is not enough to cycle. I had a mini cycle 3 months into my tank. Cyno everywhere reduced lights, water changes every other day, and feed less. Cleared up after about two weeks. Also RO water will save you some headache.

This is what it looks like

Attachments

• image-1951986772.jpg
    image-1951986772.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 248
Nothing really. Diatoms will consume whatever silicates or food source they have and then disappear just as fast. Everyone has to go through the new tank uglies. No way around it I'm afraid.

I used tap water to cure rock and the algae growth was insane u need to get a rodi unit

I certainly understand being broke. But this hobby is hard to do right without investing in some basic stuff: test kits, good water, good light and patience. Watch Craigslist for deals.

It will cost you more in the long run if you don't by the right things. When starting saltwater reef one of the first buys should be rodi unit it's just as important as lights to me. And this hobby is not cheap at all.

Back
Top Bottom