ammonia creeping up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sincity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone i have a 60 gallon fowlr that had been running for about 2 months
i used all live rock 65 lbs and already got my diatom bloom and die off about 3 weeks ago. my concern is that my ammonia has been steadily creeping up from zero to .5 over the last two weeks i do weekly water changes(about 30%) and use rodi water.
besides my cycle i have had 0 nitrates and nitrites since even with the ammonia creeping up. should i be concerned? i keep my salinity at 1.025 and temp at 77. all fish have been added slowly with a total of 2 damsels a blue hippo and a yellow tang both small about 3 inches. eventually i plan to do reef (after i buy better lights). so am i just being ocd? or could there be a problem?

so stats are:
temp 77
ph 8.0
sal 1.025
ammonia .5 ppm
nitrates/nitrites 0
calcium 500
phosphates .25
KH 12

Yea, I got an ammonia spike following the introduction of my two crash test dummy damsels then it went to nitrites then nitrates and had my diatom bloom and fade away with another cycle all took about 4 weeks. LFS took a water test and all was at 0 to confirm my tests and two weeks later after adding the tangs my ammonia is creeping up slowly even with water changes. Think I need a new carbon filter? It's only like 2months old including the cycle and I rinsed the whole canister out last weekend

So I think I answered my own question while cleaning out the canister I think I killed alot of BB...... Any thoughts?

Sounds like adding the two fish plus killing off some bacteria is giving you a spike in ammo. the bacteria should catch up to the new additions.

So when I change my media or charcoal pack thing should I leave the old one in there for awhile with it? To avoid losing my bb?

I think you'd be ok changing it I just think the change and fish addition at the same time caused your rise

Back
Top Bottom