anemone lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been reading on anemones lately and a lot of things really don't say how much WPG they need r how strong of lighting... well they do, but it really differs.

I was thinking of a haitian pink tipped anemone, or maybe a BTA... or really something that would host my clownfish?

I have a 30 inch lightstrip on my 29 gallon tank with 2 x 65w 50/50 bulbs.. I mean that gives me just around 4.5WPG is this strong enough or am I totally judging this wrong?

thanew said:
I was thinking of a haitian pink tipped anemone, or maybe a BTA... or really something that would host my clownfish?

I have a 30 inch lightstrip on my 29 gallon tank with 2 x 65w 50/50 bulbs.. I mean that gives me just around 4.5WPG is this strong enough or am I totally judging this wrong?
A Haitian anemone is not a natural hosting species so the clowns will most likely ignore it. As for the BTA, you have an ample amount of light that should support it as long as the tank is properly matured and stable. I would not suggest any other species given the tank size.

As for the thread on RC that seems to have everyone "all a buzz", take it with a grain of salt ('scuze the pun). It's a complete generalization and has already started to give many a very wrong impression of how to go about keeping these animals. If you follow that advice, your host is doomed. Except in regards to lower light demanding species such as BTA's and non photosynthetic species, it's a recipe for disaster. Even then a BTA should only be fed small portions and sporadically.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom