AquaTricia 40 gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I checked the Orbits and there's virtually no reds, so I guess I am safe there. UV sterilizer is installed. Blankets are off but lights not on. Keeping the room dark as well for a couple more days.

Algae can grow under any color light. 2 things needed to grow algae- light and nutrients. I have both types of fixtures over my system- the blue/white, and the multicolored. The fixture with the reds in it doesn't grow algae any faster or differently than the area covered by the fixtures lacking reds. You simply have a green water outbreak. Do you have access to a UV sterilizer? That will wipe it out pretty quickly.

To answer the first part of your question- I don't think either of those claims (carbon or reds) are true. Hydroponics fixtures do have a large number of reds in them for certain growth stages in plants, but that's not the only way to grow them. Here you will see an explanation of color and plants-
http://www.colormatters.com/plant-gr...nd-light-color

I have seen green water outbreaks with 20k halides just as much as multicolored LED.

after reading Doug's answer I guess that red theory is about as old as the thread I found it in , well anyhow your still ahead he also mentioned a uv sterilizer too ,

it's still bugging me I would still like to find the root cause to the outbreak , there's a reason why it happen to begin with , been bouncing back and forth reading everything over and over , seems you were doing things text book correct , I can't pull my hair out as I don't have enough to pull ,

I just caught your signature and couldn't agree more lol

People who say that pets lower their blood pressure never had a reef tank!

I really appreciate the work you've done to help me out. I have installed a Green Killing Machine UV Sterilizer. We will see how it works. My skimmer quit skimming two days ago and is going crazy now.

Any improvement with the uv , oh don't mention skimmers mine cut out think I toasted the motor , been rigging one up from old parts just about to give it a try see if it runs

The water is clear, but I'm not gonna give credit to the uv sterilizer yet. We'll see what happens in a few days.
I'm so sorry about your skimmer. Mine on the reef is giving me trouble. Have to work on it tonight or in the morning. Hope you can get yours fixed.

as long as I have parts it will be fixed,
whats wrong with yours can't get it to start skimming
a little trick is 2 or 3 drops of aloe/stress coat on paper towel run it down the inner tub also in the center tub of the catch container that will get it to start up faster
I also put a rubber glove cut fingers off between catch container and the unit it gives it a better seal

My reef tank is a 28g cube all in one. Problem is, one of the ones is a nano skimmer that uses wooden airstones. I printed some instructions out on how to rejuvenate them, but this apparently only works once per stone, and this was a three-timer. It skimmed the first two days after I changed it, and then quit. I have been running around to take my mom to the doctor and one of my own, plus groceries and other things women (mostly) do, and haven't gotten back to work on it all week. It's fine now with a clean airstone and has skimmed two gallons of wet skim since 7pm. But my tank looks better.

Just an update. The water is clear as glass for three days now. Still haven't seen the Blenny. The puffer, assessor and dottyback are doing well, so far. I do have diatoms, but that's expected. Starting to plan for the next fish or fishes. I would like something red. So far the cinnamon clown looks good, if it's not too aggressive. I have a mated pair of clowns in the reef tank, and they have never bothered anyone. Any suggestions? This will be the last I put in there, so it's gotta be good.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Understand about the coffee. I have a bonded pair in the reef tank. I am now stocking the 40b FOWLR. Looking for red fish to make it pop. Clowns were my first thought. I can use suggestions for other red fish that will work with a sunrise dottyback, valentini puffer, yellow assessor and cleaner shrimp.

Great! I will see about finding a pair in about another week. Don't want to add fish too quickly. Another question: When I was vacuuming the sand so much, it is gone in the back entirely and low in the front. I need to raise the level. Slowly. I have some Florida Crushed Coral. If I added this a half cup at a time and mixed it in with the live sand already in there, would this cause a mini-cycle? With all that's gone on in this tank, I sure don't want to create more problems. Or would a different type of substrate be better to combine?

I found some more Ocean Direct live sand, obviously not alive anymore, which is what's in there now. The problem with this is that it's sugar sand and when I was vacuuming, it was removing the sand rapidly. I can still use the crushed coral if that would be better. Now that I have fishes in the tank, I don't want them socked in with sand. What would be the suggestion as far as what to use and how to get it in there without stirring everything up so much? BTW, the Green Killing Machine is awesome! Water is beautifully clear. ?

glad to see your crystal clear again , I know that is a big weight off your shoulder , glad the grand kids can finally see the fish again , I always tried to avoid crushed coral as I was always told it could cut up fish with the sharp shards , but I got no personal experience with crushed coral so I have no idea,

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with the clear water, and grand babies love the fish. Still considering the next fish, but would like to add the sand first.

Can anyone help me with suggestions about adding additional live sand or crushed coral to a tank with fish without creating a whirlwind or another cycle?

Back
Top Bottom