Bamboo shark behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitespot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a female whitespotted bamboo shark for over two years in a 220 that's about 18 or so inches and after 2 years I found another today. I purchased it and acclimated it to the tank. The new one is 10 or 12 inches. Well mine keeps latching onto the rear dorsal fin and every now and then shakes the new shark. This behavior is making me very nervous. Is this normal and nothing to worry about or should I take the new one out and return it. Ps I've been grabbing mine and she let's go but I can't keep doing this. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO, I'd say this sounds like a territorial thing in the making. From what I've read, one should be in at least a 300g tank (preferably 400) and I couldn't imagine having 2. A standard 220 is about 72Lx24w if I remember correctly and I think too small for an animal that size once it reaches full growth. I'd seriously bring it back and ponder other options. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Late spring I have a 480 coming in. 220 was never meant to hold it full grown. Just figured two small ones should be ok in this unit the upgrade. Not to mention these sharks are rarely seen around here

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom