Beengirl's 30g FOWLR starts!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beengirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Decided that our 8 1/2" fantail goldfish and his 5" friend were too big for the 30g, so he has been re-homed to a friend's pond with a lot of other goldfish. Sad to see him go, but he'll be happier. :)
So, now I'm changing that FW tank to SW!! :)
Scrubbed it out good today, spray painted the back black. Went to store and bought sand, filter, heater, thermometer, and some base rock. Will use some LR I have to seed the base rock. Then I will start cycling . . . Again. Gonna wait and see how water params are before deciding if I wanna add skimmer later.

Ok. So paint is dry, water, rock and sand are in. Water is cloudy, of course. Heater's on. And added some ammonia.

My daughter and I have been trying to decide what fish to put in. She wants one clown (of course). Any suggestions?

FOWLER.... I'd say flame angel would be a perfect tank boss for that system

Beengirl said:
Ok. So paint is dry, water, rock and sand are in. Water is cloudy, of course. Heater's on. And added some ammonia.

My daughter and I have been trying to decide what fish to put in. She wants one clown (of course). Any suggestions?

If you want the clown to run the show. What about a gold strip maroon clown?

Mr. D said:
If you want the clown to run the show. What about a gold strip maroon clown?

Are they very aggressive? I don't want him beating up everyone else. Was hoping to have a "peaceful" tank. The maroon are pretty.

Yes, they are the most aggressive clown. They will attack just about anything if threatened in the wild even divers.

What about black&white or mocha clowns then?

Mr. D said:
Yes, they are the most aggressive clown. They will attack just about anything if threatened in the wild even divers.

Holy cow!! Don't think I'll be getting a maroon then!! Lol. I have a b/w in my 55. How's the mocha? Don't know anything about them.

Where did u get your mochas? I've been to all of the SW stores around here many many times, and I've never seen a mocha.

My LFS had them in stock, QT'd and ready to go... They were my first fish purchase, other than a goby that I acquired with my love rock...

image-3719997326.jpg

Love em, partially because they're not the typical looking clowns. I wanted the black and white domino clowns but they were expensive!

I'll have to keep looking for them. Just started the cycle on that tank, so it'll be a while.

I love the helfrichi, but aren't they like $90? I might be mixing them up with another fish. Don't think I'm gonna pay that much for 1 fish. Lol. I do like the purple ones and the red/white ones are pretty. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Beengirl said:
I love the helfrichi, but aren't they like $90? I might be mixing them up with another fish. Don't think I'm gonna pay that much for 1 fish. Lol. I do like the purple ones and the red/white ones are pretty. Thanks for the suggestions!!

I think they are about $90. Nu-Nu and Gboy have a red flame hawkish that seems pretty cool. I've never owned any marine fish so my opinion is based on what looks pretty and will fit in a 30 gal according to live aquaria. I love the fire clown (aka saddleback clown). Then there is the pistol shrimp and goby pair that are cool too.

I I love my YWG/pistol pair in my 55, but not gonna get one in the 30. Thinking about a yellow head jawfish or golden headed sleeper goby!! I know you'll like that one, right?!! Lol If I get pistol shrimp, can't get anything else that digs or he'll probably kill it. Thinking about the flame hawkfish, they're kinda funny.

So I got most of the rock in there, don't think I'm in love with this rock set-up. I'll be adding more rock this weekend. Any thoughts?

image-1669537940.jpg

I like it!

And I didn't know you had a 55 SW tank.

I have been restraining myself in suggesting the gold headed sleeper goby because live aquaria says they need 50 gallons. :(. Wait!! Get one in your 55 and move the goby/pistol to the 30! Yeah!!! Do it! LOL! How long has the 55 been set up?

I might be able to move them, but I'd have to take my whole tank apart to get the shrimp and goby out. That would suck. We'll probably just get the yellow head jawfish, they're super cute too!! :)

Beengirl said:
I might be able to move them, but I'd have to take my whole tank apart to get the shrimp and goby out. That would suck. We'll probably just get the yellow head jawfish, they're super cute too!! :)

They are very cute!

Back
Top Bottom