Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd start with a little more than a cap full. Then test after a half hour or so and ad more little by little. It helps to know how much gets you to 4ppm so keep track of how much it takes.

sanchezkk said:
I just bought and installed Coralife 1300 circulation pump. It's really nice. It pumps 1300gph.

Should I have gotten a more powerful unit for my tank?

I think that is good, but it may be too much flow in just one direction. Two 750's would be better.

Ok, it's been 12 hours and my ammonia went down from 4 to .25. I am dosing back up to 4 as we speak, and waiting until the ammonia drops again.

Carey and Scottayy,

I am in the process of the fishless cycle as you may or may not know. My ammonia is being devoured within hours from 4ppm to less than 1 ppm. I continue to douse and it looks good in that aspect. It looks like the NO2 (Nitrite) is off the charts but, when I check the NO3 (Nitrate), it still shows at 20 ppm's. Am I not seeing or doing something right? I am confused with why my number seem weird.... Also, my pH is at 8.0. I did a 50% water change yesterday but, the numbers have not differed by that much as of yet.

i wouldnt do anymore water changes until everything is finished. Also, just leave the ph alone for now, 8.0 is fine for now.

How long has the nitrites been peaked out? It can take a week or more for them to start dropping.

Also, are you doing the nitrate test correctly? It can be tricky if you dont shake bottle 2 for a good long time.

Ur super high nitrites just mean that ur bacteria that turn nitrite into nitrate havent fully established yet. That's all. You should see your nitrites plummet soon

Please disregard the second picture on that last post. This is a better shot of the Nitrate test results.

ForumRunner_20120311_131413.jpg

carey said:
i wouldnt do anymore water changes until everything is finished. Also, just leave the ph alone for now, 8.0 is fine for now.

How long has the nitrites been peaked out? It can take a week or more for them to start dropping.

Also, are you doing the nitrate test correctly? It can be tricky if you dont shake bottle 2 for a good long time.

+1 also ammonia and nitrite effect ph, again don't worry about that just yet as 8 is ok

My pH is back on track. Still waiting for the nitrates and nitrates to move.. What do I need to do meanwhile, any ideas?

sanchezkk said:
My pH is back on track. Still waiting for the nitrates and nitrates to move.. What do I need to do meanwhile, any ideas?

My suggestion would be to wait and let the nitrogen cycle do its thing. I think everyone will agree that patience is the key to this hobby.

Every tank is different. Mine took 6 weeks. I've heard anywhere between 4 to 8 weeks. Maybe 3 if you are lucky.

Back
Top Bottom