Best way to clean lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got some crazy gunk buildup on glass on lights... What's the best way to get this crusty, salt creep, tough stuff off??

I take the lights down, and mist it with a spray bottle. Just enough to dissolve it, then wipe it away. I have plastic splash lenses, and this way it doesn't scratch them. If yours are glass, a razor blade will get it off without scratching, then just wipe it clean with water.

Vinegar does help to get it streak free, like washing windows, but isn't necessary. Vinegar does however, remove crusty coralline algae from power heads and the like.

Ok I just need a backup in case water doesn't loosen it up enough. The side that my filter is on has so much caked onto it because of splashing/air bubbles popping...

Great question! It's Just the protective cover on the bottom of my Wave Point... Maybe I can find out online somewhere I don't know off the top of my head until I can see it

Most light splash lenses are plastic. I would just try to let it dissolve with water. Vinegar works on coralline because vinegar is an acid and coralline is a base( carbonate). I'm not sure if it will work on salt creep.
Just so you know too, salt creep on lights conducts electricity. So if the creep is on the lights, down to the tank, it can put voltage into the water. If you can, figure out a way to make a shield, so the splash doesn't make it to the lights. Creep on them too, will destroy them pretty quick, inside and out.....I speak from experience!!

Oh wow thanks man! Learn more and more about this stuff every day...

Back
Top Bottom