Buckets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any bucket will do really as long as you can get a heater and powerhead in there to warm/mix the water. I use a 25g garden bucket brought from my local garden Center and works a treat. A friend if mine even uses a large bin as he has to mix enough water for 3 tanks ?

25gallon bucket?

How do you carry that? It must weigh about 200lbs?

25gallon bucket?

:facepalm: :lol:

What Serafin means is a large container to keep mixed water in..... I use a 32g food-safe Brute garbage can with a heater and powerhead to maintain about 25 gallons of mixed water at all times. I use a small electric pump with a hose to transfer from the can into 5g buckets for pwc's....... As far as the 5gal buckets, just about any ones will do.... I just keep them rinsed them out real good. I'd recommend going and buying a few new ones from a hardware/home improvement store, since you may not know what were in used ones. Just keep those dedicated to your tank.

Last edited:
Haha I thought no way is he/she carrying a 25g bucket around.

The trouble I have is that I need to buy many 5 gallon buckets to transfer water to fill up my whole tank as its new. But then I won't need then anymore??

What do you suggest?

25gallon bucket?

maybe you can have multiple 5 gal buckets on a cart with wheels and so there wont be much carrying labor involved as much. im just throwing out some ideas.

Athaocity

Good idea but that means buying a cart which is more money wasted. Maybe it will just be best buying six 5g buckets and when I have done transporting water just store them in garage incase I ever need them again.

Well, here's what I did.... I set my garbage can up right next to the tank for a day to mix the saltwater, pumped it into the tank and then moved it out of the way. Once the cycle was complete, I set the garbage can back up next to the tank, mixed my water for 12 hours, did my complete water change, then moved my can into the basement where it is now permanently located..... why lug all of that water when you can mix it right where you need it. Kind of an eyesore for a day, but it worked great.

Phranque

So you used tap water?

You didn't get R/O water from the lfs?

I have my own RODI system..... I just had 6 buckets pre-filled with RODI ready to go.

Now, at any given time, I keep enough saltwater mixed to either do a (nearly) complete water change in an emergency, or fill a 20g QT tank if needed, plus I keep those 6 buckets full of RODI to immediately refill the can.

Sounds like you have a very good setup there.

I don't have a rodi unit so I get my water from the lfs. Obviously this won't be an issue when my tank is full as I will only be needing one 5g bucket for water changes every 2 weeks.

An RODI unit is in your future.... I can about guarantee it. You will eventually get tired of running to the lfs for water, especially if you have to do a large emergency pwc for some reason.

But, yes, for now, you will need about 6 or 7 buckets to get water home for your tank.

What about if I used water from the tap with a filter on the tap. Then used water conditioner from my lfs. Then mix in salt.

Or is water from the tap going to have all sort of nasty things init?

You definitely do not want to use tap water..... it does have way too many nasties in it that a regular household sediment/carbon filter is not going to remove.

Looks like six 5 gallon buckets then.

Seems such a waste that when I'm done with them they won't be used anymore.

Well, you'll need them again once the cycle is done to do a large water change. Then, when you go to the lfs, take them all with you and get them refilled, that way you have numerous water changes worth always on hand, and you'll also need to keep RODI readily available to do daily top-offs from evaporation..... not a waste, IMO. You might actually be surprised how fast 6 buckets of RODI can go, even with a small tank.

Last edited:
Ok so how long can I keep saltwater in buckets before it starts to go 'bad' or is no use?

If you keep a sealed lid on it, it can actually sit for a while. Once your tank is filled, I would recommend filling your buckets with non-salted RODI, get some salt, a small powerhead and heater, and then mix your own saltwater as needed. You will need the un-salted RODI for evaporation top-offs.....

Back
Top Bottom