Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I'm just worried cause sometimes we go on vacation for 2-3 weeks

Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh wow! Hmmm...well, I know you can't go that long and not feed your fish. I've never gone more than two weeks without cleaning my tank so I'm not sure on this one! I do know that your skimmer will help you with pulling pollutants and nasty stuff from your tank. This is probably a good question for someone else because I've never been gone that long.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I usually have friends feed them I only have a few friends that are in to fish keeping but there all freshwater people
Old 08-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #84
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

reading through this long tread

ok lets see

Dotty backs will rule the tank as they are extremely territorial and a 20 gal is to small for a dotty back

the myth on damsels being mean nasty killers is false
if added last they will be the most mellow fish in your tank

a perfect 20 gal would be maybe a clown (20 gal x 2 clowns No), 2 or 3 damsels and a dart fish and yes a small clean up crew anything else would be over crowding

on a 20 gal you really don't need a sump
if your using a filter from a 75 gal place a small piece of cheato in it use that as your sump works just fine IMO

as for a skimmer if its only 20 gal it's not really a necessity
as long as you do routine water changes
but you could use a cheap one like the instant Ocean sea clone it's not the best skimmer but there under a $100. and if you keep it dialed in it will work just fine

Quote:
Oh wow! Hmmm...well, I know you can't go that long and not feed your fish. I've never gone more than two weeks without cleaning my tank so I'm not sure on this one! I do know that your skimmer will help you with pulling pollutants and nasty stuff from your tank. This is probably a good question for someone else because I've never been gone that long.
leaving a tank unattended is common for me 2 weeks max
as long as you take proper precautions adding lots of macro algeas into tank like Gracillaria and Caulerpa or cheato along with tons pods and other feeders like mysiss shrimp your fish will be well fed your fish will also graze the macros if they get hungry how you think they survive the wild and you can do a water change when you return and start back with your regular routine
the macros will help keep params in check till you return

as you can see from the pict I'm a true believer in macros

Old 08-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed
reading through this long tread

ok lets see

Dotty backs will rule the tank as they are extremely territorial and a 20 gal is to small for a dotty back

the myth on damsels being mean nasty killers is false
if added last they will be the most mellow fish in your tank

on a 20 gal you really don't need a sump
if your using a filter from a 75 gal place a small piece of cheato in it use that as your sump works just fine IMO

as for a skimmer if its only 20 gal it's not really a necessity
as long as you do routine water changes
but you could use a cheap one like the instant Ocean sea clone it's not the best skimmer but there under a $100. and if you keep it dialed in it will work just fine

leaving a tank unattended is common for me 2 weeks max
as long as you take proper precautions adding lots of macro algeas into tank like Gracillaria and Caulerpa or cheato along with tons pods and other feeders like mysiss shrimp your fish will be well fed your fish will also graze the macros if they get hungry how you think they survive the wild and you can do a water change when you return and start back with your regular routine
the macros will help keep params in check till you return

as you can see from the pict I'm a true believer in macros
It's a 30 gal
Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He eventually would like to get into corals. A sump would be beneficial however it is by no means a requirement.
I know there are lots of people who probably don't use a protein skimmer especially on smaller tanks. I personally believe that protein skimmers are extremely beneficial. I know mine is. As far a s damsels go, been there...done that...I've added them last and eventually mine were aggressive but depending on what fish you have that is also based on opinion and I'm sure it's different for some. Everyone one here has different experiences so it's good to listen to all perspectives.

You could always premix your water (I'm sure you do anyway) and ask your friends who have fish to do a water change for you. They wouldn't necessarily need to clean the tank like you would but just siphon the bottom some and add back what you've mixed.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #87
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

30 gal you can still slip by with no skimmer as long as you do water changes routinely or even just a cheap one like I said above

#1 rule never let anyone touch your tank unless they know what they are doing!!!!
bad things can and will happen , it's to big of a investment to have someone mess it up causing the tank to crash

if he has a big enough hang on back filter filled with macros it would serve as a sump

I had more issues with my dotty back that I finally traded him in

than I do with damsels just keep them schooled in 3/4s one of each species no 2 alike

my cardinals never came out of hiding with the dotty back in the tank
now there all over the place
they don't fear the damsels as they did the dotty back and if they get feisty my clown puts them in check fast
he is KING of the tank and he lets them all know it
everyone's happy and get along great
Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL! Do you have a tomato clown? Now those clowns don't care who's who...they are like that as well!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #89
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

mines a clarkie when I got him he was about the size of the head on a thumb tack
now hes like the size of a half dollar
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haha! Thats cool! He's "boss"!

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com