Can someone help me with starting a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
54seaweed said:
LMAO
that's a clown for ya

both tanks coming along nice

Yeah, clowns act like a big spaz, but she's a little older. The new one is very young, so still a spaz.

Beengirl said:
Yeah, clowns act like a big spaz, but she's a little older. The new one is very young, so still a spaz.

This app giving me trouble today. :( That was supposed to say that my b/w clown not a spaz, but she's older. But in general, clowns act funny. :)

Sweet, so far I got another clown he's not looking so good he stays in the top corners any reason why he's not playing around and then I got a green spotted puffer that I'm converting into full salt I just picked him up just incase that clown dies for beneficial bacteria. I found a 10 gallon sump on Craigslist for 25 in town so I might go pick that up this weekend and the coral is purple I was wondering If I could frag it and make a few bucks I came home today and it was huge but I moved it and it got super small but it's getting bigger again

Attachments

• image-1930839498.jpg
    image-1930839498.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image-114149628.jpg
    image-114149628.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 49
Mike jones said:
Sweet, so far I got another clown he's not looking so good he stays in the top corners any reason why he's not playing around and then I got a green spotted puffer that I'm converting into full salt I just picked him up just incase that clown dies for beneficial bacteria. I found a 10 gallon sump on Craigslist for 25 in town so I might go pick that up this weekend and the coral is purple I was wondering If I could frag it and make a few bucks I came home today and it was huge but I moved it and it got super small but it's getting bigger again

What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? If nitrites are high, the fish will sometimes be at top of tank and looking like they're trying to eat food off of the surface, when what they are really doin is gasping for air cuz the nitrites outcompete for oxygen the the water. (basically they'll suffocate) Is that what he's doing at the top of the tank? Or is he just hiding? He could just be hiding cuz he's new to the tank.

I know that some corals will stretch and recoil based on how far they are from the light. I'm not familiar with tree corals, so I don't know if they're ones that do that.

If forget what kind of filter you're using. Not sure what's up with the white stuff in the water. If you have a hob filter, does it have a sponge in it? Carbon in it?

Yeah it has a sponge and carbon I think it might be from that live rock I got

So what's your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? When was the last partial water change done? I'm thinking you need to do a PWC maybe that will help the fish. And rinse out all the filter media in the water your removing when its in a bucket.

Alright so I came home and the bottom part that keep the fish from getting
In fell off and both the clown and puffer at now dead the puffer was stuck but his back was completly gone when I pulled him out he still tried to swim this saltwater is starting to make me mad I know that those saltwater puffers a poisonous is it going to hurt me if I put m can in the tank

The bottom part of the filter came off? Wow. So sorry about your fish. You do seem to be having some bad luck. :( I don't know anything about puffers, sorry.

They do have a toxin, but not sure how bad it is. Do you have a net? I'd use a net.

I used a net but he got chopped up and I'm Afraid that the toxins leaked into the tank land I don't wanna put my hand in their

You could use a tank vacuum to get the smaller pieces. You should probably do a large water change after that anyways. Then you could suck up the bits off the sand and rock. If you don't have a vacuum, u wouldn't need a big one, they're usually under $10 at lfs for size you'll need.

The toxin is only is you EAT a specific part of the puffer, not if he got chopped up in your tank. Sorry about your fish, you might need to take a step back and get your tank in order before getting some more livestock. What are your water parameters?

Mike jones said:
So I gonna have to restart a cycle and everything

No, it shouldn't affect your cycle, the BB is on rock, sand and surfaces. It's not in the water itself.

Chopped up fish bits will create ammonia and depending on the amount of BB, I would test for a few days to make sure you have neutralized it. Take it slow, the only think that happens fast in saltwater are problems.

I would test to water to make sure you have your levels in check. Your tank is fallow now, yes? Do you have any crabs or snails? Coral? Have you solved the problem on how the fish got stuck? If you go slow, I promise you will be better off.

Back
Top Bottom