chromis bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had 4 green chromis in my 20 gallon tank... until yesterday. I noticed one was acting weird staying in place a lot and away from the others and being chased a little. Well he died... I was under the impression they were a friendly schooling fish. I have noticed there is one that is doing the majority of the chasing. Will he continue to kill off the others or will he now be satisfied?

anyone have any experience with saltwater fish on this forum?

Fish aren't too far from people. I dont have any experience with Chromis, but I would imagine you might have gotten 2 males or 2 female "leaders" who fought for control. Just a guess though. Has he/she killed again?

I had a similar problem. I have a 100 gallon and I got four when my tank cycled. Two were more dominent and I felt they would not let the other two eat and they would not stay with the group died. Then when I added my two clowns the female clown would not let the last two chromis eat and the two chromis died. My other fish are fine and well. I was really bummed becuase they were nice to watch school back and forth. I want to get more and my lfs said to keep an odd number in the tank like 3 or 5. Kind of wierd but i'll try it next time I get some chromis.

fish all eating well and seem to be doing fine, gonna add two more when I put them all in my 75

In my experience, thats just the way it works with Chromis. I started with 7 in my 180-gallon and ended up with 4 within a few weeks. Now I have had the same 4 for a long time.

Chromis are a type of damsel, Aggressive fish once settled and established a home.

Chromis are also a hit and miss, The will most of the time pick each other off untill only a few are left. Or you may get off on the odd chance and have them all survive.

From past experiences I've had with blue/green chromis, they'll slowly pick one another off until there's one left. Morbid, but that's just my experience. I've managed to keep 7 together peacefully in a 220 for a year until a power outage.

It is happening again... looks as though the next biggest one is now staying pretty still in the tank and didnt eat this morning. What should I do when this happens to a fish? Remove it from the tank or something else? This is a little demoralizing. It makes me think do I really want to jump into this hobby like I am about to with my 75.

I now have 5 chromis, my LFS told me that to keep them in odd numbers and they won't pair up and pick on the others. I've had them close to two months now. The biggest one does chase some but not bad enough to worry me. They school most of the time and sleep together. I'm hoping that doesn't change.

I started with 3 chromis. The smallest got stuck in my protein skimmer intake - a small hole no larger than a pencil. The larger of the two remaining bullied the other chromis until it was hiding in the corner most of the time - bruised and battered. It eventually dissapeared (I guess the CUC took care of the reamins). So now there is the one bully remaining. He doesn't hassle my clowns or Cardinal. He's now pretty shy, and hides in the rockwork until I come to the tank to feed them.

If you are really attached to these lil guys. Turn off the lights, and re-arrange the rocks. I know chromis tend to stay up higher in the tank, but it might help.

Is it an option to catch the bully and put him in QT?
You may be able to return the bully to the store for credit.

I took the bully chromis back, so now I have 1 nice lonely one. May get a 6 line wrasse to keep him company.

yes sir. they do some pretty good things there including a 7 day guarantee.

Ahh thats good to hear. Yeah, Chromis most of the time do this. People see them when they're juvis schooling and playing around with each other but as soon as one hits adulthood. Its boom, One by one gone.
Unless your lucky, And get a nice bunch that dont pick on each other.

wish I knew before I bought them... how does this look for an updated list? 75 gallon.
1 each
chromis
six line wrasse
percula clown
royal gramma
blue tang
yellow tang
flame angel (maybe)

Back
Top Bottom