Cleaner shrimp or coral banded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonny bats

Aquarium Advice Regular
I Really like the coral banded shrimp, but heard they don't do a good job on cleanin and can be aggressive towards peaceful fish, which one is more recommended?

I have one and he picks at everything. I also have other shrimp and they stay at opposite ends if the tank. There's a lot of live rock and plenty of little places to hide. I've not had any issues with him hurting the other shrimp or my fish and have had him for about 4 months.

My tank is 56 gallons. I can tell you something that will help you in the long run and save you money as well. Make sure you have no copper in your water and your salinity levels are in the upper margins. I also have a fire shrimp. I looked for a mated pair of coral banded but couldn't find any because I really like them and wanted two.

My tank is only 29 gal....does ur CBS nip at any fish? Worried he will go after my Rainsford goby

He doesn't mess with the fish at all and I have clowns that are small. I did read on here somewhere that someone else had issues with theirs doing this. Have you considered a fire shrimp? They are also very cool and look great in the tank. Mine cleans everything and I've never had issues with him messing with any of my fish! They also can be put in reef tanks.

No I haven't looked into fire shrimp, but I just did and they are pretty cool.. I'm goin to see if I can find some at my LFS.thanks for the suggestion sweety ?

No problem!! Acclimate him slowly and make sure you have no traces if copper and he should do well! Let me know how it goes!

Ok, I will have to get a test kit for copper..as I am using tap water and not RO water :-/ so I am sure I have traces of copper!

Copper will kill any shrimp you get. If you don't want to spend the money on a kit right now then I would buy something that filters it out and removes it regardless. That's what I do and I do use RO water but I buy it so you never know when it's from another source.

Go to Petco or your local fish store and ask them what they have. I bought something that absorbs it and is supposed to neutralize it. I know Kordons makes a chemical that does this. When I get home I will look at what it is called for you!

You still need to be very careful about it. If a tank was treated with copper then all the LR will absorb it and leech it out over time. Best way to prevent an issue is to only buy LR that you know hasnt been in a tank treated with a copper medicine so its always good to ask before buying but most stores won't have that problem since they usually quarantine. Getting rock off of friends or CL is when you really need to ask.

Back
Top Bottom