Eek, a mantis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Actually, I'm kinda happy about it. :lol:
Heard some clicking the other night and assumed it was the two pistol shrimps I knew were in the lr qt tank. Today I found this looking at me. I have no idea how big it is yet but, it's at least a 1/4" wide. So, probably around 1-1 1/2" long. Guess I'll be setting up this qt tank for him now. :D
I haven't seen the pistols in about two days now so, I fear they may have already succumbed to the mantis. :?
Interestingly though, right under his hole is a dying tunicate. I watched him come part of the way out, grab a handful of this ickiness and drag it in the hole. Who knew? I had no idea they would eat stuff like that.

I tried feeding him a piece of silverside. He picked at it and lost interest quick. lol He is crazy.
I'm in Martinsburg. About 5 1/2 hrs away from Barboursville.

Nice! Good looking little mantis you have there. Enjoy him (EeewwwwwwwwwwW)!

quarryshark said:
Have fun catching him

Piece of cake... pull rock, squirt in RO/DI put immediately in SW holding pen. Just watch your fingers! 8O

I got mine with FW .. cool, from the tap. I saw him go into a hole and I stuck a bamboo skewer into the hole to keep him in there while I removed the rock.

I'm not even gonna bother. That's his rock and as far as I'm concerned, he can have it. I'm just gonna leave him be and work around him to set the tank up as a mantis tank.

I'm not even gonna bother. That's his rock and as far as I'm concerned, he can have it. I'm just gonna leave him be and work around him to set the tank up as a mantis tank.
That is great!! I didn't have that luxury, mine picked a rock at the very bottom.

Be very careful with a mantis shrimp..I had one that reached over 5 inches in length. It ate all of my snails,and then started on my damsels.. The noise can very bothersome at night too, the first time I heard it I thought something was shorting out in my tank. I tried to grab him/her out one day, and OUCH, it hurt like heck. I mean tore right through my skin. SO, had to wait till it went in the rock and removed the rock, dumped it fresh water ( the problem was getting it out after it died). So, just be wary, they can get big and start to destroy the rest of the tank.. And never put your fingers near (from experience).

Congratulation. :lol: I think :) I like mine its quite the builder, and I find to be shy. I had a hard time getting it to eat. I went to the LFS and got a few live FW ghost shrimp. BOY did that perk it's interest up Ha!!

Thanks you all. This isn't my first mantis experience. I'm aware of the hazards of keeping him. He is quite the charmer. When he sees me, he rears up. Depensive little bugger. lol :wink:

Back
Top Bottom