Enticing my tang and angel to eat seaweed from the clip...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys I have been trying to get my tang and angel to take food from the seaweed clip. I do soak it in Garlic Xtreme before putting it in the tank, but it just ends up sitting there for hours with no one eating it.

What other options do I have to give my tang and the other omnivores the greens they need?

Not sure how long you have been trying, but eventually they will come around. Are you feeding other options as well? If so, do not feed for a couple of days and only offer the seaweed. Do you notice either of them picking at LR? If your LR is well developed they may be getting all they need off of it.

Another good product I have used is a frozen product called green life line.

Checked your "MY Info" and it does not say what kind of tang? I notice you are feeding frozen brine. I would take this out of the diet completely and substitute frozen mysis. IMO feeding brine is like giving them twinkies, no nutritional value.

HTH,

It is a Hippo Tang (baby) and yes I have been feeding them the other options listed in my info.

All of my tank inhabitants LOVE the brine shrimp with spirulina. Most will pick at the Spectrum Life food, and none go for the seaweed. The only problem with not feeding them is that my clowns, firefish, and wrasse are strictly meat eaters. I am concerned about them not receiving food for too long.

Another question I have is how long can I leave a piece of seaweed in the tank before it will start turning my water?

As for the LR grazing, I see my angel nipping at the brown algae on the glass and the LR. But I never see my Tang nipping at the LR, also most of my LR still hasn't started growing the beneficial algae yet (then again most of it has only been in the display tank for 3 weeks now and it was originally bought uncured.

Try cutting back feeings to every other day. and feed the seaweed on the opposite day. a small sheet of seaweed can stay in there all day with no ill effects.

Of course they love the brine, ever see a kid turn up their nose at a twinkie. :) They will eagerly take the mysis as well and it is 100 times better for them.

All my fish readily take what I offer to include flake and pellets as well. You just have to train them to over time. A kid will not eagerly take veggies if they are use to eating candy, but after some time when they are hungry those veggies start to look good.

Is the pellet food I feed them a good one? Or should I switch to a different kind?

mdjxt39 said:
I feed them New Life Spectrum Marine Fish Formula.

I use the Spectrum Thera A+A and think it is pretty good. Fish seem to like it and ingrediants look like quality stuff.

Back
Top Bottom