False Percula Behavior Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm new to saltwater. I have a 25 gallon FOWLR with a 10 gallon sump w/refugium. Tank was set up for 2 weeks with 27 lbs of live rock and 30 pounds of live sand. I fed the tank with no rise in ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

First fish are 2 False Percula clowns. There were a lot of smaller ones at the LFS, but i picked these because they had been together in the same tank for quite a while.

They are identical, so it's hard to tell if this behavior is just 1 or both fish, but sometimes, when they get close together, one will turn perpendicular to the other and appears to shudder or almost spasm for a second. Aside from that, they swim together with little to no fighting and show no aggression to one another.

Is this behavior a sign of something bad? My water paramaters have stayed at 8.2 pH, 0 ammonia. 0 nitrite, and about 10 nitrate. This tank was a surprise for my son, and I really don't want to lose one of these fish. I'm trying to be patient and take my time to ensure success. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I believe this to be normal. They are just establishing dominance. My clowns are two years old and when the female nips at the male he still does a little shake to show his submission. She is a true boss that's for sure! Just make sure they are not causing any damage to one another.

Yeah I would agree all sounds ok just establishing dominance

Thanks for the feedback. This has been a lot of fun to set up, but expensive! I don't want to screw anything up.

Back
Top Bottom